PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I recently noticed something that I should have realized long ago; now I know many don't like aromatics but they have a noteworthy advantage--aromatics, because of their increased moisture (not too much) smoke longer than non-eros.That can be a real advantage if you're looking for a long smoke. Anyone else notice this?

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
Yeah definitely I’ve noticed. Other categories of pipe tobacco are dryer so smoke fast....also how you pack it is a factor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hadn't noticed longer smokes with aromatics, but I'll take note now. I have noticed longer smokes with flake/coin/plug/rope cuts, when I have loaded the smallest pipes and found it didn't make for the short smoke I expected. This has happened a number of times, but I especially remember smoking outside the gate during intermission at a bluegrass festival when the flake would have lasted several intermissions. I started years ago with tobacco forward aromatic blends from Tinder Box, the usual re-named standards from Lanes and other major blenders. Later I went to almost entirely non-aros, which still predominate with me. But I do enjoy milder blends than before, and selected tobacco forward aromatics, which by my definition include blends like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, Iwan Riess Three Star Blue, and others. sparrowhawk, thanks for the astute observation. It's intriguing what all we can overlook, and how random observations can enlighten us.

szconrad

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
An observation that I'll have to keep in mind for the future. Moisture definitely plays into my number of re-lights when I'm smoking. I find that I sometimes have let my pipe go out and have kept it in my mouth, without noticing that it's gone out (or, as I'm typing, like right now). Candence defintely also plays a big part...If I'm doing other things, I notice that I'm smoking a bit quicker, but if I "sip" the blend, the smoke can last for a few hours. Nevertheless, a good observation to take note of.

Status
Not open for further replies.