PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Is there a way to quantify how much tobacco should go into a bowl?

I understand that every pipe chamber has different volume, and every cut burns differently. However, I think if I had a measure for a particular volume, say a gram per square cm, I would get a hang of it faster. Once I see how much tobacco should actually go in I would remember and would go by signt every time after that. Of course tobacco amount per same chamber volume would depend on the type of cut and to some extent its dryness, but those are details. In other words, I just need to see once how much should go into a bowl.
I suspect no such answer exists. Between cut, bowl shape, bowl size, tobacco type and moisture level, there are simply too many variables exist. I understand the desire for science. But this definitely seems like more art/magic than science.

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I suspect no such answer exists. Between cut, bowl shape, bowl size, tobacco type and moisture level, there are simply too many variables exist. I understand the desire for science. But this definitely seems like more art/magic than science.
I have the same feeling about it, unfortunately. However, I continue the search for a more structured approach to art! :)

Reactions: bnichols23

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is there a way to quantify how much tobacco should go into a bowl?

I understand that every pipe chamber has different volume, and every cut burns differently. However, I think if I had a measure for a particular volume, say a gram per square cm, I would get a hang of it faster. Once I see how much tobacco should actually go in I would remember and would go by signt every time after that. Of course tobacco amount per same chamber volume would depend on the type of cut and to some extent its dryness, but those are details. In other words, I just need to see once how much should go into a bowl.
Each smoker's preference makes a measurement impossible. Some want a tighter pack, some looser. Some choose to fill the bowl completely, others don't. It's unique to each smoker. I just fill the chamber until it's full and like the draw to be as open as it is when the pipe is empty.

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Each smoker's preference makes a measurement impossible. Some want a tighter pack, some looser. Some choose to fill the bowl completely, others don't. It's unique to each smoker. I just fill the chamber until it's full and like the draw to be as open as it is when the pipe is empty.
I guess, I just need to figure out my preference then. :)

Reactions: Chasing Embers