PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
When you made the post, you were inviting insights into preferences, were you not? I was simply applying some logic based upon the sketchy information you provided. I apologize if you were unable to follow it.
I was asking for pipe makers with a similar style to Tom Eltang's poker. I don't see how this question invites an answer telling me what I really prefer?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There's also the Eltang Basic poker - again, the stem won't be as good as on the regular Eltang poker.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Also, it's not quite as tall of a bowl, and the stem is acrylic, but the Stanwell 245 featherweight poker is a nice pipe. One of my favorites.

Reactions: solideogloria86

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I'd check out the Danish Pipe Shop. Their shipping is great, and Tom Eltang has a stake in that store, so it's as close to buying from the artist as you're going to get.

From what I see, they tend to get a great selection of his pipes, compared to smoking pipes in the U.S.

I've bought a few of his pipes from them, and all have been great experiences. Tom Eltang is absolutely a master of pipe making and many, many well known carvers make a pilgrimage to his shop to learn about the craft.

Few people have been doing it as long as him, nor in as many different capacities as him. His output is staggering. He's also absolutely perfected the mechanics of a pipe.

Smoke one, and you'll see. Smoke a few, and you'll see it's not a fluke.

One of my most favourite pipe makers. His pipes practically smoke themselves and you're just there for the ride. I'd save up and get the real deal, if you're within range. He regularly puts out poker shapes, so you'll not miss out.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Just checked and The Danish Pipe Shop also has a lay away plan Tobacco Pipes bought on LayAway! - The Danish Pipe Shop - https://www.danishpipeshop.com/n/Layaway-Plan-i7031.html.

Looks like you need to stump 25% of the price.

Smoking Pipes is a fine store, but for selection of Eltangs, I'd keep an eye on the Danish Pipe Shop. They usually have more variety. He owns part of that store, so I think it's a pretty good source to buy from.

Some good ones do come up on Smoking Pipes, but I've seen a lot more at the Danish store, if you're looking over the long term. Free shipping as well. They've gotten a pipe to me in North America inside of a week during the covid. Some extras in the box as well. Good company!

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
You can also check out their "Copenhagen Collection". This is a line of pipes made by Eltang for the Danish Pipe Shop.

Significantly lower price ($240 USD) than a "Tom Eltang" but the styling is there, so looks like a good deal to me. Similar to the Sara Eltang line.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many brands do good pokers, but for Eltang-like examples, I think the posts of the Copenhagen Collection and the Stanwell are appealing. If you want something even more close, a commission is a good idea. Newer carvers who are talented but not topped out in prices might be a way to go. I could name one or two others, but they are not Eltang-like enough. I like pokers. Some think they are too much like snowman pipes, but for a deep chamber and easy handling, they are excellent.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Just checked and The Danish Pipe Shop also has a lay away plan Tobacco Pipes bought on LayAway! - The Danish Pipe Shop - https://www.danishpipeshop.com/n/Layaway-Plan-i7031.html.

Looks like you need to stump 25% of the price.

Smoking Pipes is a fine store, but for selection of Eltangs, I'd keep an eye on the Danish Pipe Shop. They usually have more variety. He owns part of that store, so I think it's a pretty good source to buy from.

Some good ones do come up on Smoking Pipes, but I've seen a lot more at the Danish store, if you're looking over the long term. Free shipping as well. They've gotten a pipe to me in North America inside of a week during the covid. Some extras in the box as well. Good company!
Holy cow! 25% down and a full year to pay. That's a heck of deal.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Yes, of course, the Stanwell lite-weight poker is one to consider. Many of the stanwell designs were originated and perfected by Eltang back when he worked there. Stanwell makes two sizes of poker, and the smaller, lighter one is an Eltang creation almost certainly.

But, nothing lives up to the mechanics, fit, finish, and stem work of an Eltang pipe. Nothing at anywhere near that price anyway. All of Eltang's peers charge many times what he does for a pipe. There is a difference. I have three Eltang pokers and a Sara Eltang poker. No comparison in sophistication and stem work. But, the SE is a nice pipe in its own right.

IMG_2441.JPG

Going clockwise from the bottom: Sara Eltang blasted, Mini-Poker rusticated with Army Mount, Bamboo rusticated, THE Eltang Poker rusticated with Army Mount (aka, The Smoking Machine).

I haven't seen any army mounts for a while at either SPC or the DPS. He might have moved on to some engineering with carbon fiber on the new pokers that doesn't accommodate an Army Mount, I dunno.

Favorite of the four? 'Full' size AM Poker! They are all under an ounce in weight with the mini and bamboo coming in at about half an ounce. They all -- even the mini -- smoke like 'big' pipes without the weight. Simply amazing engineering.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Did you also see the Pokers on DanishPipes?

The Copenhagen Collection by Tom are inexpensive, compared to the regular pipes....

Oh I want a Eltang Mini Poker with that long stem and bone... :)

Briarworks also has some nice inexpensive Pokers.

Reactions: solideogloria86
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Did you also see the Pokers on DanishPipes?

The Copenhagen Collection by Tom are inexpensive, compared to the regular pipes....

Oh I want a Eltang Mini Poker with that long stem and bone... :)

Briarworks also has some nice inexpensive Pokers.

I looked at them and almost went with a Copenhagen collection but ended being able to score the Eltang Rusticated Poker. I feel like at this point my collection is complete and I'm happy with the 4 pipes in my rotation. Down from 20.

Reactions: Sonorisis

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You want an Eltang, buy an Eltang. You don’t want to pay the freight, buy an estate Eltang.
Keep in mind that the bowl is only a part of the story. There’s the stem and button work, the airway design, etc, all of which affects the smoking experience.
An Eltang-like pipe will be different. Might be better. Won’t be Eltang. But if Eltang-like fills the bill, go for it.

Smoke what you like. Like what you smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.