PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've recently realized that I have several pipes I really like but only a few I love. This has led me to evaluating my stock and getting rid of every pipe I don't love and then pursue a collection that consists of only those I'm absolutely satisfied with every aspect of. This brings me to the title of the post.
I have really fallen in love with the Tom Eltang pokers. I have not fallen in love with the $500+ price tag. So my question. Is there a pipe make who captures some of the Eltang poker esthetic, particularly the thin shank and more diminutive overall profile? Preferably closer to the $200-300 range? I'm not looking for an Eltang clone per se, just something similar. I have seen the eltang basic and theu don't scratch the itch. Looks like a souped up nording compass.
I have a feeling the answer will be "only an Eltang will do" but hopefully someone has something.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've recently realized that I have several pipes I really like but only a few I love. This has led me to evaluating my stock and getting rid of every pipe I don't love and then pursue a collection that consists of only those I'm absolutely satisfied with every aspect of. This brings me to the title of the post.
I have really fallen in love with the Tom Eltang pokers. I have not fallen in love with the $500+ price tag. So my question. Is there a pipe make who captures some of the Eltang poker esthetic, particularly the thin shank and more diminutive overall profile? Preferably closer to the $200-300 range? I'm not looking for an Eltang clone per se, just something similar. I have seen the eltang basic and theu don't scratch the itch. Looks like a souped up nording compass.
I have a feeling the answer will be "only an Eltang will do" but hopefully someone has something.
custom job might be the answer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently unloaded 40-50 pipes that were being ignored for the most part for at least a couple of years. I would just look at them and wonder what I was thinking when I purchased them. I have a strict criteria when it comes to buying pipes so all of these were bought before the criteria came into being. I plan to continue buying and collecting American made pipes. I believe with some carvers I am getting better made pipes for a lot less money.

I see European made pipes with weak blasts, weak shaping and totally over priced. I can buy American made pipes for 3-600 less and the pipe looks like a well made pipe that has a shape that actually looks like a Billiard or a Dublin.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I recently unloaded 40-50 pipes that were being ignored for the most part for at least a couple of years. I would just look at them and wonder what I was thinking when I purchased them. I have a strict criteria when it comes to buying pipes so all of these were bought before the criteria came into being. I plan to continue buying and collecting American made pipes. I believe with some carvers I am getting better made pipes for a lot less money.

I see European made pipes with weak blasts, weak shaping and totally over priced. I can buy American made pipes for 3-600 less and the pipe looks like a well made pipe that has a shape that actually looks like a Billiard or a Dublin.
This is where I'm at. I understand why I bought everything I have, I've just grown to really appreciate certain characteristics and not really care for others. It's not that I have any real complaints about any of the pipes I own. They just don't tick all the boxes. I'm going to implement the strict criteria you spoke about going forward and aimed to end up with a personally prized collection. 2 of them will for sure be Petersons, we'll see what the rest are.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
All I can add is this, most of my favorite pipes now, were not a few years ago. We tend to swing and come full circle. Maybe that may help.

Reactions: craig61a
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Then you're really not that picky, its more the cosmetics than quality of build and smoking quality. That's good for you, makes it easier to find lower priced alternatives.
I'd say that's pretty a presumptuous statement. The two Peterson's I'm keeping are my best smokers, they're comfortable and feel good in the hand. They're not even close to the best looking pipes I own, but I do like how they look. I have 0 complaints about their usability. One of the pipes I'll be selling is a Radice Rind Dublin. It's far prettier than the Pete's but I don't like the shape of the bit on the Radice. It smokes like a dream it's just not comfortable to me. Thanks for the attempted insight into my preferences though.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd say that's pretty a presumptuous statement. The two Peterson's I'm keeping are my best smokers, they're comfortable and feel good in the hand. They're not even close to the best looking pipes I own, but I do like how they look. I have 0 complaints about their usability. One of the pipes I'll be selling is a Radice Rind Dublin. It's far prettier than the Pete's but I don't like the shape of the bit on the Radice. It smokes like a dream it's just not comfortable to me. Thanks for the attempted insight into my preferences though.

When you made the post, you were inviting insights into preferences, were you not? I was simply applying some logic based upon the sketchy information you provided. I apologize if you were unable to follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.