PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
The comments here highlight the dichotomy of smokers. On one end are the folks who smoke to ingest nicotine. At the other end are people who smoke because they enjoy everything else about it: flavor, aroma, community, quiet time, collecting.

The nic addicts comprise the vast majority of smokers. I’d count nearly all cigarette smokers in that lot, as well as the majority of pipe and cigar smokers. Remember, the “boutique” blends make up a very small fraction of overall pipe tobacco sales. Most pipe smokers smoke one blend only, and do so because it’s cheaper than cigarettes.

Most of us here fall somewhere in-between the two poles, enjoying the full range of pleasures that pipe smoking has to offer. That brings up an interesting question: How many of us can digress from our busy lives to simply enjoy alone time? To just sit and enjoy a beautiful day, without feeling the need to involve a hobby like pipe smoking, drinking or fishing? It’s a very un-American thing to do, frowned upon as a waste of time, a lazy diversion from work and family. We often feel the need to justify introspection and relaxation by piggybacking something “productive” to what should be a much needed escape from tail chasing. I’m not saying that pipe smoking, TAD and PAD are crutches. But maybe they are

I challenge everyone to make time just for you. Leave the hobbies behind and just go for a quiet walk, or sit and watch the planet spin. You deserve it. It may well be the most productive time of your entire day.
I agree that some alone time for introspection and relaxation is advisable and pleasant, but I disagree with excluding the pipe from that opportunity.
To me, the pipe is not a hobby. It is simply something I do and it doesn't distract from that personal time. I can smoke my pipe every day in my living room or office and my lovely wife does not object. If I go for a walk in the woods or take a drive just to be alone with my thoughts I will probably be smoking, which if anything adds to the experience.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't have to agree with me in this one at all. Without nicotine, you will not get the relaxation you are looking for. You'll enjoy the aroma, taste, and time by yourself. But it will not be 45 min sitting and relaxing. More like 10 min and "what the hell I'm doing here?" We all use nicotine for what it is. Some are more addicted than others. But let's not think for a moment we are so much better than the cig smokers. Cigs are nasty, no doubt. But do you think the non-smokers think any different about pipes and cigars?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I love them. The retrohale of many bands is quite pleasant. And yes, the world at large hates all tobacco users.
Although I am still trying to kick the cig habit reintroduced almost 2 years ago now, I agree that some blends actually do taste nice. What sort of Camels are these? I recall Camels were very nice cigarettes and at some point in the late 90s (?) they changed them (at least in Europe), for the much worse.

Reactions: warren

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I love them. The retrohale of many bands is quite pleasant. And yes, the world at large hates all tobacco users.
I miss the old Bali Shag and Drum when it was almost black and truly a shag and moist in the pouch and obviously old Galoises before the Nic reduction/ban.
I'll have to trade your cigars for snuff as I haven't entered the cigar world yet, you ever do nasal snuff? great for airplanes/ports...

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Although I am still trying to kick the cig habit reintroduced almost 2 years ago now, I agree that some blends actually do taste nice. What sort of Camels are these? I recall Camels were very nice cigarettes and at some point in the late 90s (?) they changed them (at least in Europe), for the much worse.
I like the straights ( no filter) was it the 90's when there was some kind of Nicotine Reduction in Europe and that's when they changed? Have they been gradually reducing nicotine since then?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Wides

A bit wider and shorter than standard. They've been around since the early '90s and have been my favorite since then.
Thanks, I will look out for them.
I like the straights ( no filter) was it the 90's when there was some kind of Nicotine Reduction in Europe and that's when they changed? Have they been gradually reducing nicotine since then?
Not sure, I think at some point in the EU there was a ban for sure a ban on nicotine content which saw a lot of US cigarettes not being imported anymore, or changed.

Drum blue is still a nice RYO though, you can taste the Kentucky in it, and it is a shag. The only annoying thing is it often comes bone dry in need of rehydration.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Thanks, I will look out for them.

Not sure, I think at some point in the EU there was a ban for sure a ban on nicotine content which saw a lot of US cigarettes not being imported anymore, or changed.

Drum blue is still a nice RYO though, you can taste the Kentucky in it, and it is a shag. The only annoying thing is it often comes bone dry in need of rehydration.
True about Drum and the Kentucky but I feel the cut and potency have changed since the Nicotine Reduction the cut and color and nicotine content in it and Bali were comparable and now they both seem to be lighter in color and a wider more stemmy dry cut with less kick. Can you get Camel Wides in EU? I have not seen a pack round these parts for years in NC USA currently.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
To just sit and enjoy a beautiful day, without feeling the need to involve a hobby like pipe smoking, drinking or fishing? It’s a very un-American thing to do, frowned upon as a waste of time, a lazy diversion from work and family. We often feel the need to justify introspection and relaxation by piggybacking something “productive” to what should be a much needed escape from tail chasing. I’m not saying that pipe smoking, TAD and PAD are crutches. But maybe they are

I challenge everyone to make time just for you. Leave the hobbies behind and just go for a quiet walk, or sit and watch the planet spin. You deserve it. It may well be the most productive time of your entire day.
meditation.jpg