PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I must apologize to the country of Latvia, Latvian brewers and all of you whom I mislead with a thoughtless and incorrect statement a little while ago. At that unfortunate time I wrote something like "Latvian beer sucks" followed by some insulting comments regarding it. I found out today how wrong I was.
I stand by my statements when it comes to the big, commercial breweries but I have found the wonderful world of microbrew and nanobrew here. There is a great brewery called Labietis that is welcoming and tasty. They had 8 on tap and more in bottles and it was all great. Along with that, there was a little cafe called Taka that had some other microbrews and a nanobrew by the owner. Both places even told me where to find more microbrews and great restaurants. On the whole, it completely widened my horizons for food and brew here.
Last thing. Taka had an interesting pricing scheme...you pay what you though the meal was worth. They have a minimum to cover costs and a maximum (or maybe she was being nice and just set a max so I didn't overpay) and you decide what to pay within them. They were also the first place here that had good Mexican food even though she said "We aren't Mexican, we're Latvian so this is our take on the tortilla".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife teaches an international food course, and since she has mobility problems, I willingly go with her to scout the

restaurants and dine with the class. Since we are in a medium size Southern city, there are some limits.

My wife spent most of her career reviewing restaurants and doing food writing on Manhattan and in NYC in

general, and on Long Island. What we wouldn't give for a good Latvian restaurant. I've gone with her to

restaurants in NYC and environs, like a trip around the world. Sure there are many international restaurants

that have less than great food (and beer). But when you find a good one, it is amazing. That's a great system

with the sliding scale prices; haven't encountered that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.