American Made Plugs Versus UK Made Plugs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I just wish McClelland Tobacco would produce a plug.
Given the density of their flakes, Mike and Mary definitely have the equipment to make it happen.
Any of the brown label flakes and the Christmas Cheer would be wonderful if presented in the plug format, IMO.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Jay, I am glad to hear that you are getting some War Horse. I haven't had it yet, but based on the work Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania did with John Cotton, you should be in for a treat. I feel like they really put a lot of effort into the blends, and it showed. I hope you are as happy with your new tobacco.

Oldtoby, I am surprised McClelland hasn't. Maybe some day.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Old Toby, unless the FDA regs are recinded, it is highly unlikely that there will be any new pipe tobacco products. Sad, as I agree with you about McClellands.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Crash. Once they have arrived and I have familiarised myself with them I shall offer up a review of each.
With a bit of luck more American manufacturers will get onboard and follow STC's bold efforts to make some of their blends in plug format...the taste is so much more intense and by all accounts there is much demand in the US for British/Irish/Scandanavian made plugs. Am smoking a bowl of Erinmore Plug right now, delicious and so very much nicer than the flake.
I wonder how Telegraph Hill or Union Square might taste in plug format :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have an uncle by marriage who is from Ireland and still goes back frequently. In seeing him this week, he loved that I smoke a pipe and was reminiscing about the tobacco his grandfather smoked. He clearly smoke Irish plug from the preparation methods described. I showed him cake to be sure, and that is not it. He has distinct instructions to acquire any Irish plugs that he can get his hands on the next time he goes home. I may just join him to help in the search.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There are a bunch of Irish/English plugs that I will happily smoke as well as chew. This whole discourse about plugs reminds me of a similar discussion I had with Dan about U.S ropes or spun tobacco verse Irish twist. I cannot abide U.S ropes as they are not tightly spun and unravel at the first opportunity whilst Irish twist has the consistency of dynamite fuse wire!

Status
Not open for further replies.