PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Yes of course you are limiting yourself. You may find a great pipe you dig from outside the US. Because there are great pipes from many countries. The US has top shelf carvers, and so do other countries.

And...if you decide to buy the best in the US, you will undoubtedly have very good pipes that will smoke as well or better than anywhere.

But that Italian pipe, or Japanese pipe, or Russian pipe....that you opted out on....well those would have been top shelf too.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have made a decision to only smoke American made pipes am I limiting my self thoughts on this
It kind of depends on a few things, like do you have an interest in vintage pipes and what style of pipe you prefer. Do you prefer Danish, German or Italian shapes, or are you interested in 19th or early to mid 20th century pipes?

If not, then the limitation doesn't really matter. American artisan made pipes smoke as well as anything being made elsewhere and there are good inexpensive factory made American pipes as well.. There are a lot of choices of American artisan carvers, most of them pretty damned good.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I love my humble little collection of mostly 1930’s-40’s American pipes. Celebrates the heyday of both pipe smoking and what became modern America as we now know it.
That said, my entire collection (now numbering in the low 40’s) only includes two briars bought new, and six cobs bought new, and two mini meers bought new-and even those added up would maybe get me one decent American pipe that would match the quality of the estates.

Plus if you only buy American you will never enjoy a meerschaum.

Reactions: didimauw

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Sounds limiting to me. Its a big world. Why try to make it smaller? I guess if you have a special affinity for a specific group of pipes why not.

Additionally, there is no one to stop you from changing your mind. Do what you enjoy. Life is short.

Last edited:

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Of course you're limiting yourself. And that's ok really. American made pipes can be just as good as offerings from other countries. If you look in the estate market, you might even save a bunch of money compared to buying new from overseas.

Just out of curiosity, why have you decided to limit yourself to American made pipes?

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Based on my little knowledge, you'll mostly be limited to corncobs, estates and artisan pieces.
Though I see Dr Grabow has a shiny new website apparently, so I guess you'll be able to get new directly from them pretty soon.
Is Dr. Grabow's website new? I Just checked and found the same old dearth of information. No weights, no measurements, no description, minimal pictures...

That said, my Savoy is a great little American made pipe.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I re-read my post and just wanted to point out that the Americans comprise only about half of the total of my pipes, but are the ones chosen to smoke slightly more often than not.
@Megladon, my advice would be to do whatever floats your boat, with your enjoyment of the journey being the priority.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon