PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just thumbing through that list on tobaccoreviews there isn't much consistency to the blending components. Some have just Burley and Virginia, some have Burley Virginia and Perique, some have Burley and Virginia with a top dressing, some have Burley Virginia and Latakia, some have Burley Virginia Latakia and Periqe. It's not like an English blend where it's typically Virginia and Latakia with some versions occasionally having Burley or Oriental added.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Gotta love Brian aka The Doctor of Pipes. He noted on tonight's radio show that that's probably a statement made by someone who is an expert on their own opinion. He also said it's probably referring more so to cigarettes than pipe tobacco.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Lord of the Pipe -
I agree with your observation. As I've been studying up on all the products people suggested between this post and another post I made, http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/virginia-burley-oriental-balkan-what-would-you-suggest I noticed inconsistencies too.
I contacted Chuck at Tobacco Reviews regard the "Blend Type," below is his reply:
The brand type is entered by users, and can be edited by users as well. It’s not a perfect science, and sometimes the manufacturers themselves have trouble with that particular designation.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
may be mistaken, but I believe Old Companion was supposed to be a "Similar Blend" to Barking Dog. A good blend in its own right, but not "Barking Dog"...
Old Companion wasn't an attempt to recreate Barking Dog, since there's no Latakia in Old Companion. What it is, is a simple Virginia/Burley blend for anyone who doesn't like top dressings.
Russ

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Blendtobac - Thanks for adding to the post Russ, a real honor. Just this past Tuesday, you lured me into your website www.pipesandcigars.com with your offer of 1# of Dunhill for $40.00. since I so enjoy Early Morning Pipe, I ordered a pound. AND THEN.... my damn mouse kept clicking and adding to the order. Next thing I know I'm up to $100.00! Got several H&H blends to try and a little more Old Companion.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I would suggest looking at pipesandcigars.com's Match Pipe Tobacco section. They have blends that were made to smoke like older blends that are no longer available. A lot of old American blends are represented there such as Briggs, Brindley's, Four Seasons, Model, and so on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another old classic American blend that hasn't been mentioned, so I'll mention it, is Granger. Kentucky rough cut burley done with the Wellman's Process, which is a deep mystery. A Forums member and I joked that it is probably leaving the tobacco barn door open an eighth of an inch during curing. I have a sentimental attachment because it was my dad's forever blend for decades.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm going to reiterate an already suggested blend ... OJK.
Old Joe Krantz, to me, is the epitome of an American blend.
Burley, Perique and Red Virginia in a rough cut with a good dose of Nic that really satisfies that itch. :puffy:
You can sip it to tease out the sweetness or puff it for a full-on pepper / spice blast.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
With some many suggestions, I've made a list and have placed my 1st order for a few. You guys are going to break my bank!!
Anyway - I got my first order in from pipes and cigars. The order contained:
C&D: Old Joe Krantz - tried it - LOVE IT!! This is a keeper. I wrote a review of it at http://www.tobaccoreviews.com.
Match: Edgeworth Rready Rub - have not yet tried
H&H Capitol Stairs - have not yet tried
(3) H&H Mid-town Series: Derby Club (not tried) - Prince Andrew (Nice) - Sweet Cask (do not care for this)

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Cobguy - I shared some Old Joe with a friend he flipped! He told me that in comparisons all his other tobaccos rate 3 -4 on a 10 scale. OJK rates 8.5. I give him what was left of the oz I bought (about 1/2 oz.) He finished it one day.
Guess I'll be buying more of this soon.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Count me in the Old Joe Krantz camp. I love the stuff. Burley, perique, and red Virgina seems about as American as one can get.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I notice I had posted an update to some of the blends that had been suggested on http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/virginia-burley-oriental-balkan-what-would-you-suggest#post-852338 So rather then posting the same twice....

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
mso489 - since creating this post and with all the suggestions heading me to C&D blends, I must say I'm find new appreciation for them.
C&D was the first baccy I tried when I came back to pipes in 2013. I was given several and while I tried to like them... I came away thinking "what is it that every one raves about?" I guess at the time Burley wasn't my thing. Now expanding my horizons... I'm finding them as the blender that folks rave about.
After trying a little Old Joe; I've just bought a pound. I gotten some Habana Daydream and have gone through about an ounce in the last 10 days. (I have other blends out in my open rotation at the time too.)
Funny how things and opinions change.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A traditional American mixture of Pressed Burley and steam-toasted Red Virginia which has a nutty/toasty flavor and a nice cool burn.
That sounds delicious...
Another vote for OJK here. Just a great all-day smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.