PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetitus26

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
O.k. Here are some pics of the pipes I made out of amboyna....I will let you guys know how they smoke soon.
IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Those are very nice pipes. I've never heard of that type of wood but it certainly looks nice made into a pipe. You really did a good job. :clap: :D

cwlinsj

Lurker
Jan 31, 2011
Hi everyone,
I just signed-up here because of this posting, I normally post on another pipe forum.
Amboynia is the burl form of Narra wood (Pterocarpus indicus) and it can have toxic affects to people depending on their sensitivities. This includes respiratory problems from inhaling sawdust and skin irritation from exposure (though rare). I learned this when working with Amboynia burl as a hobbyist.
Unless you are absolutely certain of your immunity, I would not recommend using amboynia/Narra woods as a pipe material. It can cause very bad reactions if introduced to your lungs.
Here's a couple links from woodworking forums about toxic woods:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

http://home.earthlink.net/~wooddude78/woodlib1_2.html#L

stevetitus26

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Well, I light of that information, I guess I'll just keep them as decorations. Back to briar everyone. thanks for all the complements and thanks for the enlightenment.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
As a turner I have avoided exotics for the very reasons stated by cw . On the rare occasions I do use them it is with a good respirator . Thanks cw for the heads up. Welcome to the forum.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Heck.. I would fire one up and smoke it till I had trouble breathing.... Might not bother you at all... if it does..retire it as a pretty show piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.