PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
First smoke out of the new old stock amboseli townsman African meerschaum (also my first smoke out of African meer). Loaded it up with sir Walter regular and it did not disappoint. The vulcanite stem/stainless steel tenon are both exquisite. The vulcanite does not appear to be high sulfur, as I thought it would. The button, stem shaping and funneling all exceeded my expectations. It tastes almost exactly like Turkish meerschaum and most certainly weighs more. I’m impressed.9586C009-79EF-408F-8757-9620FB92CE7D.jpeg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
That’s a pretty cool pipe. Congrats on a successful test run. It’s always nice when a plan comes together! We’re did you find the pipe?
Yeah it exceeded my expectations. I got it from royal meerschaum. They have a bunch of the townsman line for sale, all unsmoked.

Swampfox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
North Central Florida
I’ve been thinking that I would like to add a meer to my “collection” of cobs and a a few briars. Would you recommend it to someone who has never smoked a meer over Turkish?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’ve been thinking that I would like to add a meer to my “collection” of cobs and a a few briars. Would you recommend it to someone who has never smoked a meer over Turkish?
A Turkish meer going to color quicker and you’re getting more of a ‘traditional’ meer experience. I’ll know more about my African meer as I smoke it more, but since the Turkish meerschaum is of a higher purity, I’m assuming that the Turkish is slightly more absorbent. I can legitimately smoke unlimited bowls day after day in my Turkish meer and it doesn’t flinch. That said, the African meer smokes well in its own right and is certainly more durable. If you were dead set on the more rustic aesthetics of a certain African meer I wouldn’t hesitate on pulling the trigger on one as a first meer. Another thing to consider is whether or no you plan on taking the pipe out of your house. If you do, I would say either get a Turkish meerschaum with a case, or an African meer as they’re more durable. Some of the altinay pipes don’t come with a case which makes me not want to take my altinay meer out and about. You have to ultimately make your own decision but I would personally go with a high quality, Turkish meer as my first meerschaum pipe, which is in fact exactly what I did.

Reactions: Swampfox