Amazing Meerschaum Find and Restoration!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
IMG_20210305_145434769.jpg

A few weeks ago, I was hanging out at Barclays Pipe, Tobacco & Cigars on Lane Ave, Columbus, Ohio and some Estate Pipes arrived and their Pipe Guru, Angus was just starting with the Sterilization and Restoration process.

Including an assortment of old pipe bowl's and stems.

They let me look at the lot and I was just drawn to one rather filthy, actually rather gross meerschaum pipe bowl.

Even worse, it looked like someone, for some unknown reason had managed to drill a hole through the bottom of the bowl making it useless as a pipe.

That and there was no stem.

But for some reason, I just had to have it!

After a bit of dickering, I purchased the bowl for $15.

I took it home and with the aid of of Dawn dishwashing soap, I managed to remove years worth of Crud from the Meerschaum and with the aid of Simichrome (The King of metal polishes) I was able to restore the Brass Bowl rim as well as the trim around the shank.

Fortunately, the folks at Barclays were able to introduce me to a local pipe maker who was able to do a great job of filling the mystery hole with a nearly invisible repair as well as making a new "Push" Tenion and a Gorgeous Tortoise Shell Stem.

He was also able to tell me that the pipe was most likely made in the 1920's.

The bowl is on the deep side and it holds a good amount of Tobacco for a good long smoke.

It has a great draw, delivers a cool smoke and the bowl does not get hot.

And I have to tell you that the picture just does not do this pipe justice.

And my total investment,......

$52

Also, if anyone can identify the maker or give me anymore info on this pipe, I would greatly appreciate it!

Blessed Be ?

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
Very nice restoration job and a good find. The hole in the bottom was probably pecked with a sharp pipe pick or pointed knife. That can be a fairly common problem with pipe smokers who are too rough with their pipes, especially meerschaum (briar too). Did the repair man plug the hole with a meerschaum plug? When I worked at Diebel's we used to plug briars with briar plugs turned on the lathe.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Beautiful pipe! I don't suppose you have more before pictures of it, showing inside the gross bowl? And after it was cleaned up?

Don't ask, I'm wierd.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
Very nice restoration job and a good find. The hole in the bottom was probably pecked with a sharp pipe pick or pointed knife. That can be a fairly common problem with pipe smokers who are too rough with their pipes, especially meerschaum (briar too). Did the repair man plug the hole with a meerschaum plug? When I worked at Diebel's we used to plug briars with briar plugs turned on the lathe.
Apparently, some IDIOT in the past tried to try and use a drill to fit a new stem and went to far.

And yes he did make and use a meerschaum plug for a near invisible repair!

Reactions: Ziggywm

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
Tim West?.............. I'm in Columbus, and Tim does some fine work!
Great save on that old Beauty!!........... Enjoy!
Yep, I was fortunate enough to get Tim West to restore it for me.

The man does AMAZING work as you can see.

I was also lucky to get an invite to see his shop once our vaccines have kicked in!

The pic does not do the pipe justice.

The lighter band at the top has natural colouring that looks like stick figure cave paintings.

To me,....

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
Beautiful pipe! I don't suppose you have more before pictures of it, showing inside the gross bowl? And after it was cleaned up?

Don't ask, I'm wierd.
I am still kicking myself for not taking a "Before" picture.

Trust me when I say it was NASTY!

But I still had to Have It!

Reactions: didimauw

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Superb save and a good looker. Tim is a super nice guy, and fast, great repairman too. Used to visit the shop frequently when I lived in Columbus 2006-2008. Mick was the manager (had a superb Kaywoodie collection), and Sally was a shop keeper (Don Carlos pipes were her favorite.

Reactions: UncleRJ
Status
Not open for further replies.