PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I would not describe myself as a big beer drinker. I like it on occasion, especially when it's hot. Recently my wife brought home 1 bottle of Chimay Peres Trappistes Grande Reserve, that one of her close friends recommended. It had a cork in it like champagne bottle. I didn't know what to expect and have very little experience with Belgium beers. I have to say that this is the #1 best tasting beer I have ever had in my life. It had a little sweet flavor but also a beer flavor. I love this beer except for the price. It is only sold in 1 pint bottles at Whole Foods and costs $12.99 a bottle. So I bought 2 more bottles and will keep them for special occasions. If anyone is looking for a "special beer", I can recommend it without reserve (no pun intended). 8)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had consumed many bottles of Chimay on my visits to Belgium. That country is like Disneyland for beer lovers. You're correct that at that price it is a special occassion quaff but worth it at those times.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Hey papi - Do you know of a good place to buy it cheaper than Whole Foods? Google has failed me.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Zonomo

I find mine at my local beverage center. It carries a great selection of worldwide and craft brews. I am not sure how/where beer can be sold in WA (I think that's where u are from) but I would try the places that specialize in beer.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
In Pennsylvania we have 2 choices of where to buy beer; at a distributor only by the case or a 6 pack store, ie Wegman's, at about the same rate you paid. Face it, the Belgians are pricey but oh so good.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I was given a sampler pack with a glass in it, and a bigger bottle (liter?) of the blue. Have yet to sample it.
I'm saving it for a special occasion (when I finally get my master's degree).
Did you drink it at the 44 deg F they recommend?

Aug 1, 2012
Yep, the Chimay beers are the classic Belgian/Trappist brews. My favorite of their 3 brews is the white.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Chimay was what convinced me that beer was worth drinking... When I was living in Washington state, the grocery stores could sell beer and wine (but not hard liquor, which was restricted to state-run liquor stores). I understand that the laws have changed now, but the grocery liquor store sections should still be a good place to look. I've had good luck on my recent trips to the Seattle area at QFC stores - they seem to have a pretty good selection of quality microbrews, and the three types of Chimay (red, blue, and white label) are all well-known enough that anyone stocking Belgians ought to be able to get them... and not just in the teeny 1 pint bottles, either...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Oh - and if you're looking around in the Belgians section, check out Delerium Tremens and Kvak as well.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yes, it is expensive but worth it! Good thing about it is you can cellar it like red wine. So buy a bottle or two and Squirel it away. My fave is the grand reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.