PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
When I am flying I would be happy if the pilot can navigate using the stars, but I will not fly with him unless he is using GPS, Radar, Compass etc…
I learned to fly in a taildragger with no radio and only a compass. That said today I’d never fly IFR without the G1000 and autopilot. What a game changer that tech is! So much situational awareness and lower workload.

I’m happy if someone goes out to enjoy the night sky no matter how they do it.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Hey guys, I just ordered my very first telescope.

Although I took Astronomy in both High School and College back in the 80s, I never owned my own scope; however, Wifey and I now live bayside year round at seaside beach town in New Jersey, which is essentially deserted 9 months out of the year, with very little light pollution off-season, so I decided to take the plunge and buy my first beginners telescope.

I selected the National Geographic 50/600. It's a 50mm Doublet air-space objective lens, and, a focal length of 600mm. This comes with 6mm and 12mm eye pieces; as well as, a 1.5x erecting eyepiece, moon filter, etc, etc, for less than $100 delivered from England via Amazon.

I also ordered a universal mount for my iPhone, which should allow me to get into some Astrophotography of the surface of the moon - which I am looking forward to trying my hand at.

Armed with my old hand-held Edmund Scientific Co rotating Star and Planet Finder, I should be good to get going.

If this telescope works out for me and I stick with it beyond my observing of the moon, I'll eventually get some beefier eye pieces and go planet hunting.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found you other Brothers-of-the-Briar who are also into observing the night sky. - Sherm Natman
National_Geographic_50_600_Telescope.jpg

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
People often ask me what scope they should buy to start out. I always tell them the best telescope is one that actually gets used.

Yes, I did a lot of research to find the best Beginner scope for an entry-level budget. Time and again, the yellow National Geographic 50/600 and 45/600 kept coming up.

In my purchase decision, I also planned for if my enthusiasm doesn't hold through the up-coming Spring/Summer season - which is a possibility, knowing myself as I do. So, even if I were to lose interest, if I can't get USD $100 worth of fun out of this scope, between now and next Autumn, there is something definitely wrong with me - and, NOT the scope itself.

And, if I do get addicted, considering I am in for less than USD $100 delivered, the only place for me to go price-wise with the next scope in the Astronomy game is... up. :ROFLMAO: - Sherm Natman

Reactions: renfield

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
T'SCOPES - I see all sorts of eye pieces - singles and sets - all over Amazon. Would you give me an idea of what the ballpark price range of 'not cheap' eye pieces would be? I haven't the foggiest. - Sherm Natman
@Briar Lee asked me a similar question the other day. It's a difficult question to answer, partially because I haven't had to purchase new ones in over 12 years - they last a long time if cared for - but I can give you a couple of considerations you should ask yourself. First, are you looking for 1.25 inch or 2 inch eye pieces. I find the 2 inch are much better for my older eyes. Secondly, it really has to do with the focal length of your scope and how it will interact with the eye piece, your magnification will be determined by the combination of those two f/l variables.

"Simple Math For Determining The Focal Length For Your Telescope Eyepiece
An eyepiece is defined by its focal length, apparent field of view, and barrel size, but how do you know whether it's right for your telescope? First of all, you need to know the magnification that will result if you pair an eyepiece you are considering with your telescope. The math is easy division; take your telescope's focal length in millimeters and divide it by the focal length of the eyepiece, also in millimeters. For instance: a telescope with a focal length of 500mm divided by a 10mm eyepiece will yield 50X magnification. Simple."

Personally, unless I am splitting binary stars, I prefer low power setups. Also, if I am looking for deep space objects, again, lower power set ups are best for me.

The overriding factor then becomes a lens that can filter out light pollution, highlight the spectrum of light look are looking to see, i.e. galaxies versus nebulas, planets, the moon, etc as well as the quality of the lens itself.

How do you put a price on these factors? I personally prefer a better quality lens with a low power that I can slip onto a Barlow Lens and use at a higher power if needed. It's like having twice as many eyepieces. Don't expect to find a quality lens for much under $100 dollars. Expect to see better ones at double that price. Again, I am using numbers from ten years ago, so who knows. I will tell you that experience doing this as a hobby for 40 years has taught me that the telescope is for all intensive purpose the aperture of the scope, the quality of the mirror, and the eye piece. Everything comes together at your eye. This is where the picture is finalized. Can you find a cheaper eye piece that will work? Yes, but you get what you pay for. When you are out late at night, far from home, alone in the woods, desert, or high on a mountain in the MF'in freezing cold, you want to see what you came to see. Missing out because your scope or eyepiece wasn't up to the task means going home tired, cold, fatigued, and frustrated.

I find most cheap scopes skimp on the eye piece because the real cost of the scope, where it really matters after the quality of the mirrors, is the eye piece. If your scope is a refractor, good luck. Hopefully, the quality of the lenses in the tube are up to snuff.

Most things you will be looking to see are invisible to the naked eye. A good quality finder scope mounted on the side of the scope is a life saver. Think about this as well.

Telescopes are NOT pipes. Briar is briar. A quality piece of glass is not just silicone. It has various gases and elements infused into the glass to serve as filters as well as provide a more keener focus for contrast.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear or read.

Try to get the best eyepiece you are willing to pay. Make sure you don't go for too much power - especially with a cheaper scope. It will magnify the inherent errors built into the scope itself and that is frustrating. If the moon is what you are looking at, you needn't worry. But if you want to truly see the red spot on Jupiter or the planets around Jupiter and Saturn as well as really see the rings, a better eyepiece will help take what would otherwise be a blur and create some nice contrast between the rings or the storm. Nebulas - These can be a lot of fun. Do you want to clearly see the horse head ? Are you wanting to see a spiral arm of M31 or just a purple smudge?

Lastly, try to get two eye pieces. One for planets - higher power - and one for deeper space objects - lower power. You can use both once you find what you are looking for and will be thankful to have the options.

I hope this helps. It is a fascinating hobby. It is also a frustrating hobby - and it is one best shared with a friend. It helps to have someone assisting you, especially on cold nights when the cold rips through you.

And keep a pipe handy. I always smoke a pipe when I am sky gazing.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
This is probably not what you wanted to hear or read.
T'SCOPES - Au contraire mon frere - that was awesome; and, highly appreciated!

Learning the rational behind the opinion of someone else based on their personal experience is far more valuable than simply receiving an absolute - yet unsupported - answer; such as: $50. You have given us more than just an answer; but rather, a learning tool which to apply to future questions of the same type.

Thank you for the effort you put into your reply, and all contained therein. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: telescopes

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I've had good luck with the Celestron Xcel LX eyepieces. I have five of them, as well as a 2x Barlow. Each one runs around $100. View attachment 203266
I see 7 Peterson 2023 SPD pipes in that pic😉 On my first deployment to Iraq (2003) I had a 2LT one night say to me that he thought the stars would look different over there. I'm not a genius, but I replied "No, Sir, we're still in the northern hemisphere."

Reactions: Streeper541

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
5207368C-0B2D-40E1-ABC0-DD6D4B06B23C.jpeg

I was out taking photos of birds one day in the fall and got this picture. I’ve been semi-interested for a couple of years, but still haven’t pulled the trigger on a scope. I live in a place where darkness coincides with seriously cold temperatures and wind. I am going to New Mexico this spring and plan to do a little night sky watching, however.

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
View attachment 203546

I was out taking photos of birds one day in the fall and got this picture. I’ve been semi-interested for a couple of years, but still haven’t pulled the trigger on a scope. I live in a place where darkness coincides with seriously cold temperatures and wind. I am going to New Mexico this spring and plan to do a little night sky watching, however.
That's a great photo. How did you take it without a telescope? Your camera is that good without having a scope? "The Last Frontier" that you are from must be a hell of a lot lot closer to the moon than the piece of terra firma I'm from!

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
Sony A1 w/ a 200-600, a tripod, and LightRoom.
I didn't realize that camera telephoto zoom lens enabled such great shots. You must have some great photos of birds.

Are you participating in the annual Great Backyard Bird Count?

Strangely with the milder winter in the northern states and Canada I've been seeing a lot more Robbins this winter than normal in So. Louisiana and they're staying longer than usual. They have definitely extended their stay this year.