PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Strictly filter pipe guy here. I'm in the "after each smoke take apart, run pipe cleaner, replace filter, reassemble" category. When in the woods, on a river, or camping at times I will re-fill the pipe on the same filter. When I started out my practice was to wipe the bowl with paper towel, and I wondered why I never saw any cake build-up. Only do that occasionally now.

Recently I got an estate Stanny 9 mm freehand with a tight draw, especially with the filter in place. It's hard to run a pipe cleaner into the bowl, so I'll try some vodka on the cleaner to see if there is any improvement.

Reactions: JOHN72

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Strictly filter pipe guy here. I'm in the "after each smoke take apart, run pipe cleaner, replace filter, reassemble" category. When in the woods, on a river, or camping at times I will re-fill the pipe on the same filter. When I started out my practice was to wipe the bowl with paper towel, and I wondered why I never saw any cake build-up. Only do that occasionally now.

Recently I got an estate Stanny 9 mm freehand with a tight draw, especially with the filter in place. It's hard to run a pipe cleaner into the bowl, so I'll try some vodka on the cleaner to see if there is any improvement.
Lots of us prefer no cake or very minimal buildup if at all

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Lots of us prefer no cake or very minimal buildup if at all
Lately, I've been scraping a lot with the czech tool when cleaning, seems to effectively reduce the cake. I really don't care either way, except I don't like the reduced bowl capacity from cake build-up.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My assumption is that the tenon extends far enough into the mortise so that there is no gap between the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortise. If there was a gap, then funky stuff would accumulate there and eventually affect the smell and taste of the pipe. I have not noticed any problems so that is why I don’t take them apart for cleaning.
Oh did I say "whiskey?" I meant "special cleaning fluid." ???
There's often a small gap between the end of the mortise and the end of the tenon to allow for expansion, contraction, even though it's a tiny amount. Crap will build up in the mortise.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Yep. I've heard people say that the pipe should never be disassembled, lest you lose the fit, but I've never experienced that problem.
I remember hearing that years ago and thought to myself this guys pipes must be nasty. When I buy tobacco I expect it to taste as it should. If it made it into my cellar it is quality stuff and I want the best flavors possible. My fanatical cleaning practice gives me the flavors I expect. What is the sense of aging tobacco ten or more years only to smoke it through a dirty pipe. I can't even imagine trying to clean a pipe if it were not taken apart.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
After each smoke I take the pipe apart and ream the bowl with a paper towel, then warm water rinse the stummel. Then I scrub the shank with a shank brush (then I wash the brush with dish soap to get all the bery visible funk off of it). Nearly all of my pipes have acrylic stems, so those get a rinse as well and a swab with a pipe cleaner.

I will deep clean a pipe with Everclear and bristle brushes maybe once every 50 smokes. It used to be every 10 or 12 before I started water rinsing, and I use fewer bristle cleaners now.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
I used to do that when I started but at this point I'll run a pipe cleaner through the pipe keeping it intact. I'll pull the stem off and perform a thorough clean with alcohol about 2x a year.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Curious if I am the only one who takes their pipe apart every time I clean them? I also use alcohol (whiskey) on the pipe cleaner every time. Not for the bowl though.

Lots of guys talk about sour pipes and clogged airways, both of these things are inconceivable to me and my cleaning process is so simple.
The very best way to join a hard rubber stem to a briar stummel was invented by Lee 76 years ago.

No Lee pipe must wait to cool to be taken apart.

An old Kaywoodie also has a screw stem, but no removable stinger, and it’s far more troublesome than a Lee to index if the stem over clocks.

The only conventional pipe to compare with a Lee for ease of cleaning is a military mount.

And those are uncommon in the standard briar pipe shapes.

I sometimes will clean a Lee during a smoke, and always after one day of use.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Curious if I am the only one who takes their pipe apart every time I clean them? I also use alcohol (whiskey) on the pipe cleaner every time. Not for the bowl though.

Lots of guys talk about sour pipes and clogged airways, both of these things are inconceivable to me and my cleaning process is so simple.
Yeah, me too. Except I use high grade vodka.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The very best way to join a hard rubber stem to a briar stummel was invented by Lee 76 years ago.

image.jpegReally Mr. Lee, most people are aware army mounts appeared on the scene decades before your loathsome lees reared their ugly heads. If you knew what you were on about you'd realise this too, but you don't.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I deep clean them about once every year or two as I don’t smoke enough to deep clean more than that. I found Muttenchop Pipers Cleaning method to work great. The main thing is using cheap whiskey to clean the inside of the briar bowl and stem. Just make sure none gets on the outside. I use bristle and non-bristle pipe cleaners, and wetnaps for the outside of the stem. And cuetips come in handy as well!

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I deep clean them about once every year or two as I don’t smoke enough to deep clean more than that. I found Muttenchop Pipers Cleaning method to work great. The main thing is using cheap whiskey to clean the inside of the briar bowl and stem. Just make sure none gets on the outside. I use bristle and non-bristle pipe cleaners, and wetnaps for the outside of the stem. And cuetips come in handy as well!
Is there some reason you prefer to use whiskey versus vodka or Everclear...?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Very good! I know of no pipe which needs to be cool before being taken apart. So, a Lee is really no different than any other brand. (I always reassemble before a pipe cools. I disassemble simply to run a one or two cleaners through the stem and bit.) Lee's are simply like most other brands or briars, easy to care for with some beauties in their old repertoire.