PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faedother

Lurker
Feb 22, 2011
KY
I have smoked about 8 bowls out of mt new corncob pipe and it is finally losing the bitter taste from the finish. However when I smoke the pipe, and relight the pipe, I get a ashy taste in my mouth. Now I remember from smoking clove cigars that the only time I got a ashy taste in my mouth was when I relight the cigar. Now I do realize that when I have to relight my pipe that it cause this taste. But it seems like it shouldn't happen.

So could you all tell me what I am doing wrong?

bobdobbs

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2011
Can't tell you for sure as i have no experience with corncobs. Havn't encountered any significant increase in ashy taste in my briars though. Have you cleaned it recently?

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
If I understand how you've explained this. You experience an ashy taste upon relighting. Right?
That is normal to a degree. It depends on how you light and with what tool. Normally for me the first puff or two upon relighting has a slightly unpleasant flavor. The worst flavor comes from lighting with a butane lighter. Second would be a paper match. The least offensive relights are with a zippo or wooden match. I prefer wooden match.
Technique can also affect the relight flavor. Try holding the flame a little further away from the tobacco and gently sucking the flame down into the bowl. This relights the tobacco at a lower temperature. The lower the temp the less offensive the flavor upon relight.
Hope that helps.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Are you smoking incorrectly? :!:

I'll say! Try smoking with a real pipe. :rofl:

Seriously now, (I just can't restrain myself when I get an opening to bash a cob), I think maineyachtie's advice is spot-on. The filter might be part of the problem too. If you've run a pipe cleaner thru it, you may have crushed the internal paper baffles.
You might also take a moment to gently remove the loose gray ash before relighting your pipe. When smoking Va flakes I frequently let the pipe go out on purpose. Then I relight, always removing the ash beforehand. It seems to restore the initial taste of the tobacco.
If you're smoking an aromatic tobacco, then I haven't a clue as to how to handle the problem. (I'm still learning how to smoke them properly.)

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Thank you Cortezattic.
Faedother, glad to hear the problem is no more. Always happy to help.

mrivney

Lurker
Dec 29, 2010
Faedother,

I would suggest cleaning the pipe. Use some cheap whiskey. Dip your pipe cleaner in the whiskey and clean out the stem. Also, do this with the bowl. (You make a loop out of the pipe cleaner when cleaning the bowl.)

There are some good videos on youtube that show you how to clean your corncob pipe.

I got this same ashy taste when I just started smoking pipes. But it went away once I cleaned the pipe. I still have my corncobs but I do have briar.

Pipe snobs will call you a yokel, but I'm a happy yokel with my corncobs. Also, after getting out of the beginner phase (I hope), I never did get a bitter taste when breaking in a new corncob.

Regards, MrIvney

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The first thing I did was to ditch the filters. Second, you could be getting the taste of the stem in the bowl burning off. I can't remember which member counceled me on this but his practice was to whittle away at the part of the stem that protrudes into the bowl. I didn't do this but it will burn off in time. I also did not do any prep work on the cobs. I'm too lazy.

I will say that my Country Gentleman and Danish Egg are slendid smokers and surprisingly cool. I use a Zippo pipe lighter exclusively and have no issues.

So to sum things up, stick with them and they'll improve with use.

Best wishes,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.