PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
@Tommy: Once you retire you won't need a Rolex.

In fact you won't need any watch. (I reckon time by the height of the sun, mostly;

or by how hungary I feel.)
By golly...you know you guys are right,......and five grand'll buy a lot of bourbon and t'baccy won't it? :mrgreen:
Hell Bubba I may BUY you a Dunhill!

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
A year ago I would have said, "Yeah, you are crazy" I have been a collector of Danish pipes for decades and had added contemporary North American artisans to my collection in recent years. I never really had much interest in Dunhills. On another forum people were posting photos of older classic Dunnies and thus I got bit.
At this point I have managed to gather together a full 7 day set of my birth year (1950) Dunhills, all in mint or unsmoked condition and a few other early classics. One I picked up for less than $100. They have all needed a bit of TLC to bring them to the kind of condition in which I like to keep my pipes, but the time was well spent.
For what it's worth, I would advise you stick to pipes made before 1968. The quality of the wood and curing process used before that date made the pipes quite reliably superior in smoking qualities. These older Dunhills are amazingly light weight and do deliver some really yummy smoke.
Here is a very useful guide to DATING DUNHILL PIPES.
Clearly Dunhills usually command a premium, but the best marques always do in any field of collectibles. Thus they also make it easier to recover one's investment, should that time come.

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
I guess Dunhills are sort of like anything else in life that you purchase. Take hand tools for example, I've purchased cheap tools made in India (an adjustable spanner for example). Gawd awful and wont last long. However, Craftsman tools are basically the standard for any person working on his car or whatever. But Snap-On, well that's a whole different ball game! I cherish my Snap-On wrenches!
Shotguns are the same. Yes, a Browning is a fine gun and I can hit that clay target just as hard, but my K-80, well I know it's a work of craftsmanship worthy of the price.
A Ford Focus is a fine car. It will take you anyplace just fine. But a Maserati, it's more than just transportation. If I could afford one (and the related maintenance), I would own one.
You can't justify a purchase such as this. There should not be any justification required. You do it because you deserve it (and you can figure a way to afford it as well).

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Well, Bubba, you very well may be crazy, I can't speak to that as we have yet to meet. As for the Dunhill, I've always thought that I would like to add just one to my own collection at some point. It's a classic name in pipes, and I would like one for that reason if no other.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a few I got when my grandpa passed away and they are all from the 50's except one from the 80's. I think they are all really nice smokers. For me I like the traditional shapes of the Dunhill's, so I guess its all up to personal preference.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I guess I am not alone then! I have been looking on ebay for the past few days and I have my eye on a few, hopefully one will stay under my mark and I can have it! I have been hoping I would run into one during my antique outings but I haven't been so lucky! :D

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@Tommy

I'd really like to hear what Dunhill owners say about their pipes and how they smoke in comparison to pipes such as mid-level Petersons, Savinellis, or Stanwells.
It depends. All of the same external influencing factors are there with a Dunhill that are there with a Peterson, Savinelli, Stanwell or other pipes.
In general, my Dunhills smoke quite well.
So do many of my other pipes.
Do they deliver a 100% perfect experience every time? No, but my other pipes don't either.
All of the variables are still there.
What did you eat? What time of day is it? What is the weather like? What mood are you in? Which tobacco are you smoking? How did you pack the pipe? What is the atmosphere; are you freezing in the garage or dressed up at a high-class dinner with a hot woman by your side at a place where you can smoke?
I have 7 Dunhills.
Three of mine were purchased new 2 years ago, and the other four came from Aaron Spelling's estate when I brokered the sale to SmokingPipes.com last May (2010) at the Chicago show.
I love all of my Dunhill pipes. Sometimes I get pissed off when the one bent I have won't take a pipe cleaner all the way through.
However, my $400 bent Ardor, which I totally love and delivers amazing smoking experiences, also won't get a pipe cleaner all the way through.
When I bought the first three new Dunhills, I ordered them from SmokingPipes.com just before the Chicago show in 2009.
It was my first show, PM.com was still very new, and I wanted to show up with some impressive pipes.
I soon found out that only a small minority of people at the show would be impressed.
I decided that I was perhaps being a little immature and pretentious, and then I grew up a little.
Lesson learned there:
Don't buy anything to impress others. Buy it for yourself because you want it.
I did want the pipes too, perhaps for the same reasons as others. I wanted to know what it was like to have and smoke the lengendary Dunhill pipes.
The next year, after I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to broker the Spelling estate sale, I promised myself I would not buy any of the over 500 pipes that we spent hours and hours cataloging.
However, there were four Dunhills that I just fell in love with for their beauty.
I just really like the classic English shapes. I got these pipes because they just spoke to me. It was love at first site and I couldn't resist.
When it comes to Dunhills, it's all about expectations and how you enjoy your overall pipe smoking experience.
If you expect a Dunhill to deliver a ethereal experience just because it is a Dunhill, then you might be disappointed.
Just because a pipe costs 4 - 5 times more than another pipe doesn't mean it will smoke 4 - 5 times better.
It might do that sometimes, and other times it won't.
Sometimes a $75 pipe will deliver a better experience.
I keep using the word "experience" because that's what pipe smoking is to me. It's an overall experience with all the factors (and more) that I mentioned above influencing the experience.
Don't buy a Dunhill ...
1. If you can't afford it. (If you're going to really miss that money, then don't spend it.)
2. To impress others. (There are better pipes that cost less, and better pipes that cost more.)
3. Because you think you will always have a flawless smoking experience 100% of the time. (You won't)
Do buy a Dunhill ...
1. If you really want one because you feel you deserve it.
2. You find one (or more) that really speak to you.
3. You will allow it to not be perfect all the time, so you don't judge it too harshly, and don't believe all the hype.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Excellent points Kevin . What you have noted holds true of nearly any material item. The value of anything is mostly in what it means to you personally.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Do buy a Dunhill ...
If you really want one because you feel you deserve it.
You will allow it to not be perfect all the time, so you don't judge it too harshly, and don't believe all the hype.
Thank you Kevin, that was perfect! You have a talent sir. :)
Now I'm off to find a Dunhill.... because I deserve one.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I know that I deserve one, even if Cynthia doesn't agree! I also want one because its just feels right to own one, and I would like to be able to speak from experience about this iconic brand name. Even if it would only be a limited experience! :D
And because they are purty!!! :mrgreen: (pretty for you non country folks)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have one a old shell briar so worn out I can not make out all the stamps . I have better smoking pipes that I paid a lot less for . But I would not trade her because she and I were born in 1965 .

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I can't offer any better advise than what's been given. If you get one and are happy with it, then all is right with the world.
I don't regret getting mine. It's not my worst smoker nor my best but is above the average of what I own.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Kevin's observations are right on in my opinion. I've owned 4 Dunhill's over time, three new and one estate. I was disappointed with all of them.

dubinthedam

Lurker
May 18, 2009
Amsterdam
I have 2 dunnie estates, bought for a good price, above average is the best description I've heard. They really aren't anything special. I just love their bulldog shells, classic English shape. My castello estate on the otherhand is everything I expected Dunhill to be and then some. If you find one you like and the price is right, go for it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
To buy or not to buy. Depends on your personal money situation. Mine is usually close to the bone, with the wife hacking through all of my defenses, so its a rare day that I cough up the dough for a Dunnie. However, if you want one, and smoking pipes is something more to you than just a "hobby" then by all means go for it! Kevins' points are very well taken. As to dating Dunnies there is no better guide than the late John C. Loring book "The Dunhill Briar Pipe, The Patent Years and After". It may still be available through his estate, as it was privately published. Of course, there is also Richard Carleton Hackers' book "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting". Discrepancies are addressed by John C. Loring on line at: http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/pipearticles.htm. The best selection of estate Dunnies on the web in my opinion is at http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/index.cfm.
My advise is by all means go for it. You only live once and you deserve it. At least that's what I tell the wife!

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I too am rather proud of owning a selection of cheaper pipes, and am extremely happy with them. But the craving for just one expert piece is strong. It's good to have a figurehead of your collection that comes from someone like Dunhill; Something you can pull out and say "Those are wonderful, but this, this is really special."

Status
Not open for further replies.