PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
John, That too would cost money to investigate... Good luck on your "research" for you upcoming fiction project...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Honesty usually isn't the best policy, I've found that out in life. When I was young and foolish, sure I'd tell the truth, and then I found out in most cases such as these, red tape gets in the way. It's not like they're going to whip out a cup for you to piss in out of the blue, and if they demand one, don't smoke for a few days and then state you had one of your 5 bowls in 3 months a few days before.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
I work in the insurance industry (group insurance underwriter) in Canada. Here, a smoker is someone who has smoked in the past 12 months!
I don't know what's the case law in the US but your claims could be denied because you "lied" on your insurance application (that's how a court could see it).
I've read a court judgement where someone was denied coverage (after the claim was submitted) on something totally unrelated (car accident if I remember correctly) just because he said he was non smoker (and someone saw him have a cigarette a few months before).
Crazy I admit!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
My career has been 41 years as an Independent Insurance Agent representing numerous companies for all types of insurance including life and health. If you apply for life insurance your urine will be tested for nicotine which takes at least 6 weeks to not be noticed if you do not use tobacco in any form. You are a "tobacco user" and will be classified as such. Years ago, pipe and cigar smoker's were considered to be a "non-smoker" classification. But, now that has all changed and we pipe smoker's that do not inhale are all lumped together with cigarette smoker's. It is not fair, but that is the way it is. You are either classed as a "tobacco-user" or a non-smoker these days. If a urine test is required for insurance you will be found-out. If not, you won't be found out. When it comes to "life insurance" a policy is "contestable" for the first two-years by law. This applies to suicide as well. After that two-year period, you could blow your head off in front of the President of the life insurance company and your beneficiary would collect!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Insurance companies huh!

They are equal to the IRS, lawyers, and armed robbers. Well, lower than armed robbers. At least an armed robber is honest about stealing from ya.

Insurance companies have driven the cost of medical up beyond the reach of the common man so they could create the current situation.

A smoker makes smoking a part of his life style, like a biker. If you ride a motorcycle a couple of times a years and come around us and say you are a biker, you will probably be inviting a huge problem (If you know what I mean).

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Ditto teufelhund. Screw 'em. I rank insurance companies as somewhat higher than cockroaches and lawyers. Social parasites.
I may add insurance companies to my list of questionable ethic/moral careers. I also include insensiteve news reporters and debt collectors. I have a high credit rating because I pay my bills and pay on time, but I still have to deal with debt collectors looking for someone with my last name, they leave a message and the only way to stop their calls is to call them back to clear up the issue.
Good comment on the "kick me" sign Roth.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Lie. Everyone else does. Every politician. Every corporation. Every special interest group.
As Andrew said, in the modern world we have created for ourselves, honesty (outside kin and folk) is rarely the best policy. Sad. But true.
Had enough yet?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ever seen the Shawshank Redemption, Red says, "don't you know? We are all innocent here". I'm not a smoker I'm a pipe recreationalist.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Insurance companies think that puffing a pipe makes you more susceptible to many health problems so they should get more money - in that case I should barely have to pay anything for exercising daily, eating healthily, proper hygiene and having an immune system like a tank! Actually I should get a break for my occasional pipe smoke as well because I don't inhale and it relaxes me.
Reason doesn't work on money hounds.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Insurance companies have driven the cost of medical up beyond the reach of the common man so they could create the current situation.
locopony,
With all due respect for your opinion, I will not defend the insurance companies as they do that quite well themselves. I will say that as an Independent Agency owner and agent for 41 years, it is my opinion that it is not the insurance companies that drive up the cost of medical insurance. Rather, it is the Providers. Please keep in mind that the insurance company is in the "middle" of collecting enough premium to pay the providers, operate their business and return a reasonable profit to the public shareholders like you and I. In fact, it is the efforts of the insurance industry negotiating Preferred Provider Organization Contract Pricing (PPO's)that, holds costs down as much as 40 to 60% depending on the Provider Organization of physicians and hospitals. That is why, if you do not use the PPO network that you and your insurance company choose, your co-insurance, deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums are much higher. Now, with ObamaCare requiring insurance companies to take everyone regardless of health, that incredible higher cost will be on the shoulders of all of us. Insurance costs will go up dramatically on 1/1/2014 and thereafter at an alarming rate! And, the Federal subsidy for low income earners who could not otherwise afford this insurance, will also be on our shoulders as well. It ain't gonna be pretty. By the way, this is not what the insurance companies wanted. They are just adapting to survive.
Captain Bob

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Yep thats why when I paid cash for my tooth to be repaired the dentist took nearly 20% of the bill. His explanation, insurance companies are slow to pay and require costly paper work to be done, and sometimes even legal service is required to get them to pay.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Well that points to cost increase for medical care.
Now how long has that spiraled up and up.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
I've been following this thread with some interest and I had an experience yesterday that I thought I'd share.
For work, we have an annual physical that's mandated by OSHA. We fill out the same huge packet every year... I should have made a copy of it to save myself an hour in the future. Anyway, one of the questions is "Do you use tobacco in any form?" Obviously the answer is "Yes". It asked what form I use and how often. Part of me really wanted to mark everything as not being a tobacco user but I answered honestly.
When I finished everything up the last stop is the doc who looks over the EKGs, packet answers, PPD test, hearing and seeing. I noticed him thumbing through the packet and he stopped and read the tobacco usage part. He marked me down as a nonsmoker. My department gets a copy of his sheet and the results and I'd assume, our insurance provider does as well.
The insurance premium increase doesn't interest me as much because my insurance is covered by my employer but still... Kinda had a little personal victory.
Take Care

Ryan

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
My dentist asked me the "are you a smoker" question several weeks ago as I prepared to have a mouthful of fillings. I asked if smoking a pipe once a week made me a smoker and he laughed and said that he wouldn't consider me a smoker unless it was a daily routine.

thabop

Lurker
Nov 24, 2013
South Africa
I agree with soggycitybob. I have NEVER inhaled my pipe smoking and according to the last nicotene test, it confirmed my form stating "non-smoker". I think that is the way to go!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I'd never admit to anything. Hell I have not had a bowl since Saturday morning, my wife is sick, so I have refrained from it for her. I have no ill effects from it. And do not consider myself a "smoker".

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think a lot of us probably make a very strong distinction between "smoker" and "pipe smoker." Unfortunately, the rest of the world is not so enlightened.
When medical professionals ask this question, I define myself as a nonsmoker. I never inhale, and it is not a physical need/addiction. I've been smoking a pipe since I was 18 -- I'm 52 now -- and have never had any health issues related to tobacco consumption. The results of X-rays and physical exams tell medical professionals that I am not a smoker. In addition, being a pipe smoker, I will never fall asleep with a cigarette in my hand or leave a cigarette smoldering in some forgotten location, leading to increased risk of fire.
But this is purely my personal rationalization.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.