Am I a ‘Codger’ for Wanting to Smoke Only Half and Half?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
I picked up a pouch of Pinkerton Half and Half the other week and haven’t been wanting to put anything else in the pipe. It’s sweet, nutty, spicy, burns well. It’s somehow light and robust at the same time, has a je ne sais quoi spice note (what is maze anyways, mace?, corn?) It just makes me think of forgotten times and mystery, maybe in a jar in a forgotten temple. The metallic pouch is great, it seems more fresh. Don’t get the full on PG mouthfeel from other pouches I have smoked (Mix 79). I like the stark and iconic branding, the Christmas colors.

Has this blend clicked for anyone else? Any of veteran Half and Halfers out there who prefer a certain iteration? I have been perusing old tins on Ebay. What does this mean? Will I smoke anything else? Sometimes a little latakia will call me or a straight Virginia... Thinking of trying some Gentleman’s Caller as I hear it’s a Burley Deer-tongue blend.

I have some ideas about what I like about it but... wow. Somehow I even like its tendency to nip a little.

Is the STG as good? Does it still have that mystery factor? Tub vs Pouch?

Thanks much

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
no but it means you're smoking like one. Hey I had a few weeks where I pretty much only smoked Sail Yellow. There is nothing wrong with finding something you really like that hits the right buttons in fact some people feel that's a goal they're striving for. I think to really be a true blue codger you would have to refuse to try anything else.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I like the current offering, but I find the topping a little cloying if it’s a big bowl. It’ll ghost, too. Next time I smoke it, I’m gonna cut it with Crooner. Half & Half used to have deertongue in it. I’d like to at least attempt to recreate some crude facsimile of what the old school stuff tasted like, for curiosity’s sake.

As a side note, you mentioned the pouch Mixture 79 being goopy. I’ve never tried it from the pouch, but if you order bulk Sutliff Mixture 79, there’s no detectable PG. It’s damp, but just water moisture, not humectant. I enjoy it quite a bit. Goes great in a cob.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I picked up a pouch of Pinkerton Half and Half the other week and haven’t been wanting to put anything else in the pipe. It’s sweet, nutty, spicy, burns well. It’s somehow light and robust at the same time, has a je ne sais quoi spice note (what is maze anyways, mace?, corn?) It just makes me think of forgotten times and mystery, maybe in a jar in a forgotten temple. The metallic pouch is great, it seems more fresh. Don’t get the full on PG mouthfeel from other pouches I have smoked (Mix 79). I like the stark and iconic branding, the Christmas colors.

Has this blend clicked for anyone else? Any of veteran Half and Halfers out there who prefer a certain iteration? I have been perusing old tins on Ebay. What does this mean? Will I smoke anything else? Sometimes a little latakia will call me or a straight Virginia... Thinking of trying some Gentleman’s Caller as I hear it’s a Burley Deer-tongue blend.

I have some ideas about what I like about it but... wow. Somehow I even like its tendency to nip a little.

Is the STG as good? Does it still have that mystery factor? Tub vs Pouch?

Thanks much
As long as you enjoy what you're smoking I don't think it's a codger issue at all. Heck, one of my favorite blends is Sutliff Sweet VA which is not a fancy blend by any means. What it is is a non-pretentious visit with an old friend that relaxes you and makes happy. Everything a blend should be.

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
no but it means you're smoking like one. Hey I had a few weeks where I pretty much only smoked Sail Yellow. There is nothing wrong with finding something you really like that hits the right buttons in fact some people feel that's a goal they're striving for. I think to really be a true blue codger you would have to refuse to try anything else.
I’m weirdly getting there ?.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I don't buy into all that codger stuff. Smoke what you like, that's all that matters.
Completely correct. There is no right or wrong. I recently posted on enjoying a bowl of Gawith FVF. My cellar is fairly well stocked with a variety of fairly expensive blends including HU and other reasonably well regarded tins. However, for the past year, i reach really almost every day for Amphora Full Aroma. A year or so ago I would never even think about smoking what I would have considered an OTC blend. But I like it a lot and plan on enjoying it until the time when I no longer do, which may well be never.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Completely correct. There is no right or wrong. I recently posted on enjoying a bowl of Gawith FVF. My cellar is fairly well stocked with a variety of fairly expensive blends including HU and other reasonably well regarded tins. However, for the past year, i reach really almost every day for Amphora Full Aroma. A year or so ago I would never even think about smoking what I would have considered an OTC blend. But I like it a lot and plan on enjoying it until the time when I no longer do, which may well be never.
Amongst those so called codger' smokers in the continental EU ,blends like Amphora Red Full , The Original brown one, Clan Aromatic and Mc Barens Scottish Mixture/Golden Extra are kinda staple of choice and highly appreciated tobaccies,year after year

Status
Not open for further replies.