PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I love Altinay meers (have several of them). They are of the highest quality construction, and have certain styles and shapes that I don't normally see elsewhere, such as their pencil shank model.

I've wanted one of these for a while, and somewhere around a year ago I inquired with Said Altinay about commissioning one with a smooth finish...and taking the advice of @georged to avoid the carbon fiber inserts, I requested a stainless steel insert instead.

Said informed me that they cannot take commissions for smooth finishes because they do not know until the block is already carved whether it is possible to make it a smooth finish or not...but he would let me know if something comes available.

I basically forgot all about it until just recently he let me know he was making one that would be smooth and with a SS insert...and it is the longest one he's ever made. So, needless to say, it is currently in transit to its new home.

Bowl Height...2.28 inch
Length...9.02 inch
Chamber Diameter...0.83 inch
Chamber Depth ...2.01 inch
Weight...1.45 oz

pencil shank 1.jpg
pencil shank 2.jpg
pencil shank 3.jpg
pencil shank 4.jpg
pencil shank 5.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I prefer the way meerschaum smoke over any other material. But still, coloring is 50 percent for me!
Oh, I know I'm in the minority where that is concerned. Most meer smokers seem to take a keen interest in the coloring process. I do take note of it, but after my first few years of smoking meers I realized that the coloring process is soooooo slow that I just sort of lost interest in it.

If I was really determined to achieve some significant coloring, I'd only own one or two meers...but there were just too many sizes, shapes and styles that I wanted.

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Oh, I know I'm in the minority where that is concerned. Most meer smokers seem to take a keen interest in the coloring process. I do take note of it, but after my first few years of smoking meers I realized that the coloring process is soooooo slow that I just sort of lost interest in it.

If I was really determined to achieve some significant coloring, I'd only own one or two meers...but there were just too many sizes, shapes and styles that I wanted.
That guy is so thin that you should have amazing color on the shank in a manner of a month. Altinay pipes just seem to color faster for me. Congratulations, beautiful pipe. Enjoy it before you snap it in half lol!

Beautiful pipe. Too bad that these pipes change colors. Not a fan of that brown splotched look that they get. But, it's awesome that you do.
The SS insert would probably keep the stem from turning brown before the bowl does. Maybe it will make it look better than those that get all poopy looking down the stem before the bowl colors.
Congrats, and may she squeeze every last drop of flavor out of your tobacco for you.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I know it’s always up in the air as to what a meer’s coloring will do, but I can’t help think this one will look amazing no matter what happens. Please keep us posted. I love pencil shanks.

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I know it’s always up in the air as to what a meer’s coloring will do, but I can’t help think this one will look amazing no matter what happens. Please keep us posted. I love pencil shanks.
I will post some pics at some point when there's some coloring progress. I haven't smoked it yet...waiting for the right time.

It arrived on Friday with the usual very fast Altinay delivery from Turkey. Would have been a day sooner but got an inspection delay.

Now that I've had it in hand, I can say definitively that Said did exquisite work on this one...really very impressive...he's a master at making these pencil shank meers, and as far as I know, the only one out there making them, at least that I've seen. Very glad to finally have one.