PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Just a quick question. Does anybody know a tried and true method of achieving a sand blasted appearance without using a sandblaster? (Even rather off the wall possibilities.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rustication of a certain kind comes close enough that people often confuse the two, but other or most rustication looks nothing like sandblast. With sandblast you can usually see the actual patterns of the grain, and some rustication suggests that, though you can usually tell the difference if you look closely. Brushed rustication looks nothing like sandblast to me, but it can give a nice texture done right.

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
St. Pete, people on Forums occasionally call a rustication a blast, and I've seen it on some retail sites. A patient craftsman can get that effect without meaning any deception, just a nice even texturing. You can tell the difference for lack of grain pattern, but there is a resemblance. Sorry, no ready examples come to hand.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, rustication and sandblasting seem to be as commonly mislabeled and confused by people like tongue bite and tongue burn. I had to do some googling to educate myself on the differences between both.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Earlier this year, I saw a couple of pipes from a west Asian pipe maker that had been treated with a yakisugi/shou sugi ban technique. Risky, but the resulting texture was very similar to that of a sandblast. I'm ashamed that I don't remember the name of the maker now.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Earlier this year, I saw a couple of pipes from a west Asian pipe maker that had been treated with a yakisugi/shou sugi ban technique. Risky, but the resulting texture was very similar to that of a sandblast. I'm ashamed that I don't remember the name of the maker now.

Reactions: piffyr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

Post pics if you remember. I'd love to see that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Doesn't Walt Connoy make a unique "Suedeblast?

IMG_20112019_134819_1080_x_800_pixel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.