PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
The b&m I go to makes a lot of money from pipes because they take the term, tobacconist seriously. It's in their name. You need to be versed in pipes and cigars to be a tobacconist. All of the staff, and of course the owner, uses both pipes and cigars.

They sell a lot of pipes. It's worth having pipes and pipe tobacco and buffing wheel, and big cast iron scale and wooden bowl, etc, prominent, while the humidor is at the back, because it gives customers the confidence that they aren't just going to buy this thing and be left to flounder. You walk in to get a cigar or cigarettes, and you instantly recognize that if ever you were going to try a pipe, this is that place you would do it. They sell and make a lot of money from pipes because they are proud of them.

Pipes well handled improves cigar sales. Cigar stores are a dime a dozen. Anyone can put sticks in a cabinet and sell them. I bet most of us can walk into a cigar store and take one look at the setup and the staff and know that they don't know much about cigars and that they basically hold the keys and that's it.

But when you see that these people are pipe, and tobacco experts, you instantly know the staff aren't just cash register jockeys. The humidity is probably correct in the humidor, the cigars are probably in good condition, and if you ask for recommendations based on your preferences, they probably actually know what they are talking about.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Most of us pipe hobbyist are willing to drop money freely on places that allow us to partake. But, as the hobby expands, we seem to have developed a subcategory of folks that only smoke cobs and complain about prices on most things. I can totally understand this for the fixed income and rocking chair folks, but...

Not just this hobby. I frequently see stuff like people asking how they can revive a dead $3 disposable vape or asking if there are repair services for $30 Chinese devices that cost more to fix than replace outright. On the cigar front, I've seen people celebrating special occasions by breaking their piggybank to indulge in cheap dog rockets that'd get you slapped if you offered one to a hobo, which scares me because I don't want to know what they're smoking normally.

There's always gonna be that one guy trying to use both sides of the toilet paper they stole from a public restroom or pooping in a colander so they can get 3-4 meals out of one can of discounted dented-can store brand corn, and thinking they're being the Dos Equis guy while they're at it. ?‍♂️

The big difference I see with pipes is that at least MM cobs and codger blends are good, so it doesn't hurt the experience for frugal pipe smokers.

Last edited:

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
There’s a combo pipe shop/ bait store in Akron. Haven’t made it out there. Yet. Sounds like a place I would never leave...
That reminds me of the idea I had years ago for a superstore. I wanted to sell the finest selection of firearms, knives, alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, various tobacco pipes and "tobacco pipes", adult toys and videos, and, local ordinances permitting, fireworks.
My friend suggested that it include strippers, but I said absolutely not since I wanted to keep it classy and family-friendly. After that, I decided that I'd need to be careful about the store's image, so I'd hand out free balloons, candy, and energy drinks to children who were there with an adult.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make this dream a reality....yet....

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I think there's a cultural divide between pipe and cigar smokers, though there is also an overlap. Cigars are associated with tycoons, politicians, mobsters, and General Grant. Pipes are associated with professors, writers, psychiatrists, and craftsmen. College boys visiting the horse track all want to smoke a cigar and pretend they are Diamond Jim Brady. College boys smoke pipes when they wish to impersonate their professors or philosophers. On my one pilgrimage to Nat Sherman in Manhattan, the fellas and gals from Wall Street took over the conversation area and were all talking up a storm, while the pipe smokers sat in the rockers outside the humidor and around the shop and puffed in quiet meditation -- or so it seemed to me.

Neither I nor those that I know fall into any of those categories and enjoy smoking both. Often things don’t have to be so analytical as people just simply enjoy doing stuff. Most stereotyping is manifested in the perception of reality that is experienced, but doesn’t always represent the ontological status of things... or so said a professor that I once had, but a keen observation nonetheless?

Reactions: BROBS
I don't necessarily fit those categories either, big guy. I'm a family man, know what I mean? I like to smoke my cigars while working out... bustin' kneecaps on bagmen, doing some heavy liftin' droppin' concrete shoes into the harbor, or some pop and locks on some wiseguy that's been hold'n out. Me, stereotype... forgetaboutit.

But, when I am in the mood for my pipe, I tend to settle in for the evenings, while Rochester prepares my cognac. There's nothing as exhilarating as a roaring fire in the heart, some Acadian Mixture, and a nip of the elixir.

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
The ideal companion business to selling pipe tobacco is something that makes the proprietor money while people sit in the lounge and smoke their pipes. Spend $15 on a tin and $30 in the lounge. Social clubs and alcohol are the two things that jump to mind, but they’re so obvious that the legislators here have already banned them.

If any such adjunct business became conspicuously successful at attracting pipe smokers, it’d be outlawed.
Yes, I think tobacco & pipe shops as an ancillary to an ongoing business would be a great solution. But, like you said, anything that started to show success would get stomped on. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
With in 10 miles from my house there are at least 8-10 great locations for a pipe shop. Great visibility from the street, plenty of free parking, some great anchors for the plaza, prices per sq ft are very reasonable. I could open a shop in a minute and make money, oh but I forgot, there is an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco in this stupid state.
Well there went that great idea. I am actually going to look into the costs of opening a dispensary as that business is going to blow up and the opportunities will be plenty.

Pot dispensaries are going to out number tobacconists probably 10-1 in the next 5 years.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As far as pipes go, I'm not sure. However, every new house I buy, I find the nearest small town gas station, and ask them to order Carter Hall. 3 places I've been to have kept their promise and stocked up for me. That and prince albert. I just like having a back up in case I need it.

Most tobacco ryo shops or gas stations might already carry at least prince albert, so it's not like asking them to order esoterica pipe tobacco.

I am looking forward to the days we can go to a farmer's market, pick out a few twists hanging up to dry at a farmer's booth, maybe pick up a few whole leaves to do some blending at home. But, of course, this is after the fall of civilization, and we'll have to fight Mad Max on the way home to the Thunderdome. But, a guy can dream. puffy

Reactions: Casual

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I don't necessarily fit those categories either, big guy. I'm a family man, know what I mean? I like to smoke my cigars while working out... bustin' kneecaps on bagmen, doing some heavy liftin' droppin' concrete shoes into the harbor, or some pop and locks on some wiseguy that's been hold'n out. Me, stereotype... forgetaboutit.

But, when I am in the mood for my pipe, I tend to settle in for the evenings, while Rochester prepares my cognac. There's nothing as exhilarating as a roaring fire in the heart, some Acadian Mixture, and a nip of the elixir.

What? This isn’t you? Without the hat... beard... glasses?;)
70A52CF9-EF3D-45A0-BD81-19D48E8325DB.gif
RIP James?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
There are certainly a lot less pipe smokers today than there were 10, 20, 30... years ago. There are also a lot less people who can drive a manual. I know that some things are cyclical, but I don’t think that these two are coming around again, at least not to the extent that they once were.

Status
Not open for further replies.