PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
I've just received some of this in bulk and calling it a "match" is a bit strong. That's not to say its not a very nice tobacco. I would say similar to 965 is a fair description. In a nutshell this will be my all day and all night smoke now. It's deep and tasty. Pleanty of Latakia a d a reasonable nic content.

Most important for me being a UK resident this blend saved me over half of what I'm forced to pay if I buy from UK shops!

Jul 15, 2011
"Match" blends can be very odd, considering that while you can obtain and mix various amounts of Oriental, Virginia, Latakia, and other kinds of leaves, the way that they are processed, treated, cased, cured, etc. can all have an affect on how the blend tastes in the end result. I think that because of this, all "match" blends will differ from the original in some respect, but what you have to consider is whether or not those variations make a blend worse or better than it was before. What is universal is that "match" blends are almost always a better price than the original, and if you don't mind subtle flavor variations, it can be a chance to have a blend close in flavor to your favorite that is readily available at a fraction of the cost. Sounds like this one might do the original justice in some regards. Thanks for the review!

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Very well put Mr novelist!

I see what they're doing by aligning themselves with Dunhill but its actually a very nice smoke on its own merits. It's a good advertising ploy. After all I would probably have never tried it before had it not been likened to a blend I enjoy.

Sitting here just at the end of my second bowl of it today, I'd even go as far as saying I enjoy both blends equally FOR their differences. The deciding factor is tho, for me, Dunhill 965 £12.90 50g or Altadis £4.72. No brainer!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually ol' limey bastard by b&b tobacco, it's sold at 4noggins is supposed to be pretty much identical to the original 965 when it was still blended by dunhill, and it's only about 35$ a pound I believe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've wondered about "match" blends. This sounds like something of a success. I like Altadis tobaccos,

though I've never tried one of their matches. They feel, taste, and smell like quality, and the prices

are reasonable. I took advantage of the smokingpipes.com sale to stock up on bulk Dunhill 965,

but I may try another Altadis match blend. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've been meaning to try that Mans Best Friend blend for a while. I'm gonna have to get some on the next order.
As for the match blends I'm guessing they're hit or miss. If you find one you enjoy then you've got it made.

Status
Not open for further replies.