PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Hello. I'm Koko from Asia! I'm an expat here in Singapore. Been smoking corn cob for 2 weeks now and miraculously never went back to Malboro since the day I started piping?.

Not much piping action here in Singapore since tobacco here is gold (4-5x compared to US). First pipe tobacco I bought is Lane 1Q and BCA. It was ok, burns fast, very mild and low in nicotine. I don't think it is for me. I need something that is high on nicotine and slow-burning,

I just bought my first used briar pipe yesterday from a friend of a friend. I've also ordered a 2 petite savis from the states for my rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina, U.S. You are living in Singapore, but you grew up ... aloha ... in Hawaii? If your tobacco choices are limited, you might try mixing blends a bit, for variety.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Welcome from central North Carolina, U.S. You are living in Singapore, but you grew up ... aloha ... in Hawaii? If your tobacco choices are limited, you might try mixing blends a bit, for variety.

I grew up in Philippines. Went to Hawaii then moved to Singapore for work.

We have a wide selection of pipe tobacco here, much like in the US but very very expensive. 2 oz of Lane 1Q is about 35 USD here vs 5 USD in the states. I'll try mixing in the future. what I need now is something strong in nicotine and burns slower compared to Lane 1Q. This way I can save more money. I heard Flakes are the way to go?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Welcome to the forum!

what I need now is something strong in nicotine and burns slower

I recommend Peterson Irish Flake. It's fairly strong, and it's very easy to smoke. It's still not much nicotine compared to cigs, but it'll help.

Reactions: kokomanga

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Welcome aboard from Ontario, Canada! I feel your pain in regards to your tobacco prices. The great white North is no different.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Welcome from West Tennessee, I'll recomend some of the Dan Tobacco blends, Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, Milonga, Devils holiday, Blue note, and for a plug, Salty Dog. Others will have more recomends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Hello. I'm Koko from Asia! I'm an expat here in Singapore. Been smoking corn cob for 2 weeks now and miraculously never went back to Malboro since the day I started piping?.

Not much piping action here in Singapore since tobacco here is gold (4-5x compared to US). First pipe tobacco I bought is Lane 1Q and BCA. It was ok, burns fast, very mild and low in nicotine. I don't think it is for me. I need something that is high on nicotine and slow-burning,

I just bought my first used briar pipe yesterday from a friend of a friend. I've also ordered a 2 petite savis from the states for my rotation.

Hello and welcome from a fellow Singaporean! I think that makes 3 of us on the forum now!

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.
I sure will. Thanks for the welcome.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Welcome from West Tennessee, I'll recomend some of the Dan Tobacco blends, Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, Milonga, Devils holiday, Blue note, and for a plug, Salty Dog. Others will have more recomends.

We dont have Dan Tobacco blends here. Thanks for the recpmmendation.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Welcome to the forum!

I recommend Peterson Irish Flake. It's fairly strong, and it's very easy to smoke. It's still not much nicotine compared to cigs, but it'll help.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll order that next. I have the Old dark fired and FVF coming tomorrow as per recommendations here.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Koko', I was in the Philippines in '69, at Subic Bay,before the big U.S. Navy facility there closed, and I flew into Clark Air Force Base, also closed long ago. I had an amazing bus ride from Clark to Subic, arriving the day before my ship left for Vietnam, a wild ride through the mountains on twisty road with two-way traffic. By then I just thought my life was in the hands of the angels. I was crosseyed exhausted. Later we went back for dry dock repairs; the people were quite warm and kind. Beautiful place.

kokomanga

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
Koko', I was in the Philippines in '69, at Subic Bay,before the big U.S. Navy facility there closed, and I flew into Clark Air Force Base, also closed long ago. I had an amazing bus ride from Clark to Subic, arriving the day before my ship left for Vietnam, a wild ride through the mountains on twisty road with two-way traffic. By then I just thought my life was in the hands of the angels. I was crosseyed exhausted. Later we went back for dry dock repairs; the people were quite warm and kind. Beautiful place.

I bet Clark and Subic were beautiful in '69. My home is actually near clark base. Believe it or not, we still follow US military rules inside the the base til this day. Lots checkpoints. Subic is still the same but more pubs and girls now.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Welcome! If you're looking for nicotine, try to stick with burley tobaccos such as Five Brothers. Also, the Stokkebye rolling tobacco blends are quality tobaccos that taste great in a small pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.