Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I start looking at new stuff in November of each year, to buy it in January. That's the easiest way to buy tobacco I think, though it precludes trying just an ounce of something at a time and then buying more if I like it -- anyway this year I can probably let go of 500-750 for my tobacco pleasures. . . which means I seriously need to ask for help here or else I'll just be buying random things :P.
SO, that in mind, I'm going to list out the stuff I've kinda picked out for starting consideration. An asterisk by the name means I really want to try it, and a tilde means I've already tried, and rather enjoyed, it. Further, a parenthesis will follow each blend with (whatever blend focus)-- a plus sign will denote a special emphasis. This is just to keep track of what blends seem to appeal to me the most.
Abbreviations: b = black, R= red,Wh = white cav = cavendish, d = danish, vi = virginia, m = medium
Let's start with everybody's favorite bulk on a budget:
Altadis:

SPS 2010 Fruit Tart (B.Cav, D. Burley and Vi)

Classic Vanilla (+Golden Cav, Burley, Vi)

(~)Fox & Hound (R. Vi, Turk, Burley, Latakia and M. Perique)

Simplicity (Burley/Vi, +cognac)
Cornell and Diehl:

*Billy Budd (+latakia, burley, vi,+cigar leaf)

*Epiphany (Vi, Latakia Burley and perique)

* Izmir Turkish (+Turkish, no Latakia -- really want to try this, will probably try it as cigarette as well)

Three Friars (Vi ribbon, Burley and perique)
Next, Gawith, Hoggart and Co.:

Best Brown #2 (M Vi/Burley)

Black Cherry Twist

*Brown Irish X

*Happy Bogie unsliced (for smoking and chewing)

Rum Twist

Sweet Maple

Sweet Whiskey
Lane-Limited:

1-Q (everyone says this is good, I should try it)
Mac Baren:

London Blend (Wh. Burley, +aged)- Also a tin of the same
McClelland:

Dark Navy Flake (+lemon vi, +aged)

*Oriental Mixture (-latakia, Orientals and Carolinas)

Calypso Black (+B. Cav)

Biteless Burley (its...a burley, I'll also probably attempt to roll cigarettes with it)
Stokkebye:

Burley (Burley +Cav process, extra mild -- want this specifically as cigarette tobacco)

Cherry (Light burley, m vi, little cherry --- again, strictly a cigarette blend)

Cube cut (Vi/Burley -- see where I'm going with Stokkebye?)

(~)Dansk Black (a nice fire-cured cav, very good in pipe or cigarette)

(~)Natural (Basically above. . .but lighter, and ditto the dual-purpose)

(~)Virginia (as far as I'm concerned. . .everything Stokkebye makes is dual purpose)

(~!) Golden Dansk (Quite possibly the best cig/pipe tobacco I've had, a lovely Golden Cavendish)
Esoterica:

And So To Be (not sure what it actually is, but it sounds lovely)

Peacehaven (ditto)
Peterson:

* Peterson Christmas 2011 (I refuse to read it, I want to taste it without expectations)

* Special Reserve 2011 (ditto)

* Summertime blend 2011 (ditto)

(~) Irish Flake

University Flake
G.L. Pease:
* Odyssey (oriental and latakia)

Maltese Falcon (oriental and r vi, and other stuff)

Westminster (English, what's to know)
I think what I really want is someone to talk me out of some things as over-lapping one-another, or swapping out bad ideas entirely. . . or in a nutshell -- talk me into spending less please? XD Lord knows I have a problem when I come to this crowd for that advice.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
Hmm... OK, yoru, let's see:
C&D - Epiphany is an excellent choice for a mild-medium Latakia blend, but I found Billy Budd to be a bit too heavy for my tastes (and I do enjoy a good cigar now and then)
G&H: I wish I could help you cut back there, however, with the exception of Sweet Whiskey (which, in my opinion is neither) every one of those tobaccos is very good, if not better. Of them, the Best Brown delivers a no-nonsense tobacco taste, and the Sweet Maple (rope) is almost as good as P&W's Vermont Maple.
Lane Ltd. - When all else fails, 1Q works. It's a good, light smoke with a great aroma. It's easy on the tongue and priced nicely, too.
McLelland - Dark Navy is the only other blend that caused me to lose my dinner (the other being G&H Dark Bird's Eye). I'm sure it's a fine smoke for others, but it hit me the wrong way. I found it strong and rough on my sinuses.
P Stokkebye - I've only tried the Cherry, which I enjoy. I'm sorry I can't give you more to go on with the others.
Peterson - I've had both the Irish and University Flakes, and like both. They are relatively stout smokes, decent strength and straight tobacco flavor. When I want to do some serious thinking or writing, I go to one of these.
GL Pease - You can't go wrong with any of these. Odyssey is bold, Westminster is refined, and Maltese Falcon is well-behaved (maybe a little too well-behaved for me).
Is this close to what you're looking for? If you're RYO, you might try Fribourg & Treyer's Blackjack with a touch of blending Oriental or Perique. It's a grand Virginia, if you're into Virginias.

Oct 22, 2011
Yoru- I STRONGLY recommend Epiphany and Irish Flake. These two are excellent smokes and each provide something quite unique. The history of the Epiphany style blend (i.e., Revelation) is well known, and this blend is EXCELLENT. Irish Flake is probably my favorite of all time. It is delicious and full-bodied and packs a strong nic hit. You can't go wrong with those two, so make sure that they are in your haul this January.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Your basic ideas help me cut it down significantly. Seriously -- that's the point of this ritual, if I ever purchased my initial pick after just browsing smokingpipes.com I'd be buying 20lbs a year (and I only smoke, what, 4?)
Revised list:
Epiphany

Fox and Hound

Billy Budd

Izmir Turkish

Brown irish

Happy Bogie

Sweet MAple

1-Q

2045 Oriental

Stokkebye Burley

Stokkebye Virginia

Golden Dansk

Irish Flake

University Flake

Odyssey

Westminster
With my planned portions this would be 1 well-chosen experiment short. Which leaves me with Prince Albert (in a can, heh heh), Half & Half (which sounds like a good dual-purpose), Mixture 79 -- I happen to love black licorice, vanilla and roses, all of which I've heard it described as so what the hell, just wish it came in a smaller size as well.
Probably gonna go with half and half....
Oh damn! I wanted something with apple flavor...anyone got a suggestion for that or should I just go with one of those packets with a picture of an apple on it (with the slice cut out?) I always see at drugstores? I'm sure you all know what one I'm thinking of.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
Dude... go for the PA. It's really a good, clean-smoking, great tasting burley. It's not fancy, but it doesn't claim to be, either. Mixture 79 does not give the licorice experience you might want, at least not in my opinion. Neither does Half & Half, for that matter. To me, they're fairly decent, "don't have a lot of money, but I really need a smoke blends," but then again, so are generic cigarettes and White Owl cigars. Given a choice, I would choose neither. If you're into black licorice (as I am), have you considered Esoterica's Blackpool? It's much more refined then either M79 or H&H, and a very pleasurable smoke. True, it costs more, but I'd rather spend a little and enjoy, than save a lot and pout when it comes to my tobaccos.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You should stock your cellar with bales of 1-Q and wait for the apocalypse. You may want a couple of assault rifles, too, so don't use all your money. Also get all the rare Esoterica and SG blends you can. Then you can just wait for hobie to run out of Penzance (may take a couple of years but it will pay off big later). If you need an enforcer who will work for baccy, call me. When it comes to business, all I feel is recoil and I only smoke like a bowl a day.
Seriously, you left out H&H Black House and Magnum Opus, both available in 6oz tins now. Altadis Creme Brulee is a fun holiday smoke and SG Kendal Cream to me is perfect for Christmas because it smells to me like egg nog.
+1 on the PA, CBW and other "drug store blends". Old dudes usually have cool stuff to barter. They didn't live to get old by being dumb. They typically have skills for the post apocalyptic world of baccy empire building. They also know how to build shit with tools we never even heard of.
You may also want to consider buying some pure baccys designed for blending. We may wander across a wayward tobacconist in need of a little work after the mayhem and use their skill as a launchpad to acquire assets and build our own territory.

Jul 12, 2011
H&H Black House and Mag Opus are a must!
Also:

Dunhill's EMP, London Mix, Flake & Nightcap ~ All Favs of mine

H&H's Anni kake

Solani's Silver Flake

Solani's Aged Burley Flake (if like'in the burley then also H&H's Classic Burley)

Escudo

Rattray's Marlin Flake & Old Gowrie~Favs

Peterson UF (one of my favs...go through tins like a !@#$%)

Low Country's Cooper (Smokingpipes.com's blend)

Penzance~Fav

Stonehaven

MC's Blackwoods flake~Fav

MC's Three Oaks Syrian~Fav

MC's x-mas blends~Favs and great for holidays

MC's Frogs~All of them ;-)

Boswell's x-mas cookie, sweet tea, berry cob, Northwoods

SG Blends (if you can snag them) SG, FVF, Bracken, St. James & 1792 (if you like lakelands)
sorry I just prob increased the list :clap:

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I can only comment on the blends I have smoked a tin or two of myself, but here is my input to your mega-list;
Peterson.

As others have said University Flake is a must have.

If you like a strong nicotine hit Irish Flake.

I also love their new blend Nutty Cut which is an aromatic that doesn't over do things.
Dunhill

I love Dunhill Flake as a change from University Flake. Has a nice "woodland" type flavour.
Gawith Hoggart & Co.

I notice your original list had a few of their blends. My personal favourites from their choice of aromatics are

Caribbean Coconut and Coffee Caramel. Both are worth considering as a great flavoured Black Cavendish.
Samuel Gawith

If you are looking for an English Blend, I think Squadron Leader is a perfect example.

Another possible aromatic would be their Grousemoor which again has a gentle flavour and is a great all day smoke.
Not sure if that helps - but good luck getting your list together :)

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
You havn't listed Ashton tobacco's, I enjoyed locking a your list, a great list but have a look a Ashton's, I am sure they are available in the US, I love all their blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.