PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Hello all, just wanted to share my quit smoking journey for those who may still be struggling to quit/convert to pipe. Damn it's about the hardest thing I've ever done. And I still am not fully quit, but I'm making progress! Patches, gum, don't work for me. Neither cold turkey, nor just the pipe. So, I decided to roll my own. Not only is it tons cheaper, but minus the roll time it's almost as convenient as a cig which is part of what makes them addictive. It's been 2 weeks now since I've bought a pack (been 10 cigs a day for about 20 years or so). There are 32 papers in a pack, and I went through 1 pack of papers in a week. That's a huge decrease and I'm very happy with this progress. Typically I smoke half a rolled cig, and finish it layer. Also, the craving is not as urgent as a real one so I often just put it off and feel fine. Next, I'm going to try reduce again. Maybe roll 3 for the day and see if I can get down even further. Anyways, thought maybe this technique would help another make some progress that's struggling. Cheers!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've tried too many times to give up cigarettes and switch to a pipe with no success. I finally came to terms with myself that I like cigarettes. Their more relaxing to me then the pipe. I do, however, try to limit myself to 10 a day alternating between dip and the pipe. The dip seems to work better for me in cutting back on the cigs. I wish you all the luck in giving up the cigs.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I managed to quit a pack a day habit after 18 years in 2000. I had the help of bupropion but I agree with hoosierpipeguy that it's ultimately a matter of mental commitment. I would tell myself whenever I wanted a cigarette that I was an ex-smoker so I don't do that anymore. It was a simple mental turn but it worked for me. The best of luck to you. It's very hard but it can be done.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Keep going! It was a slow and steady reduction in cigs for me but I eventually got down to 1 cig a day and then 1 every few days until I stopped completely abd only smoke pipe now a few bowls a day. I’ll have the occasional cig but prefer pipe 99% of the time. I was smoking around 10-12 ryo cigs a day before I decided to switch to only pipe.

negative health effects from smoking do correspond to the amount you smoke. So any reduction is a good thing in regards to health. But everyone is different and some can smoke much more than others without noticeable differences in health effects. Just find what works for you.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Congrats! I too initially picked up a pipe years ago to help get away from a cigarette habit. It was a slow and gradual transition, and eventually I just started preferring pipes and never bought another pack of cigarettes.

Good luck to you in getting away from cigarettes entirely.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I remember when I was twelve my father quit smoking cold turkey. And he never looked back. When I was in college I learned the difference between having a smoke and needing a smoke. At that time they were saying only a quarter of the people who smoked were addicted. The could quit whenever they want.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
First off, you gotta wanna quit, not just sorta wanna.

After that, almost any method'll work.

I never really tried, per se, to quit smoking cigarettes. Basically, I felt guilty about them, and thought it would be better that I quit them, but never really felt especially motivated to.

Eventually I just started preferring pipes, and after a certain point, I never bought another pack of cigarettes again. I don't really know when that happened, but it's been years now since I last bought a pack of cigarettes. To be fair, I did make some small effort to get to that point. Sometimes I'd want a cigarette and think "No, I think I'll just have a pipe instead."

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I quit a 2 pack a day habit in Sept 1987. Used Chantix but the reality is, I mentally committed to quitting and that was it. Haven't had a puff since. Good luck with your own efforts. Sounds like you're there, you just have to cut the final strings. Just do it.
I did Chantix back in the day -- it definitely helped, but I think I ended up addicted to Chantix itself -- all the vivid surreal dreams I was having on it was like a second life, lol

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to quit by cutting back. The problem was that I never stayed quit. So I'd quit for a few months or years, but then I wouldn't stay quit. I probably "quit" like this for 30 years.

I had quit off and on for several years before I started smoking pipes. But, once I started smoking pipes, I never looked at cigarettes again... mostly because I have just been too busy chain smoking pipes for maybe 10 years now. I get boatloads of nicotine, no need for a measly little cancer stick now. That would be like swimming in a river of chocolate to get out, towel off, just to eat a tiny little Hershey's Kiss.