PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I didn’t know there was commercial pond raised alligator for sale.

Today at noon the local BB-Q joint offered it, and I tried it.

If you like fried frog legs and fried chicken nuggets you should like alligator.

The owner described alligator as a cross between frog legs and chicken nuggets and I can’t think of any better description.

It was delicious, but I’d prefer frog legs only, if I had my druthers.

Ever try alligator?

The only reptile I ever found tasty was rattlesnake, on the grill of course. Alligator just never appealed to me. Here in Alabama, we pretty much have the access to all of the foods in Louisiana, although, I bet Bradley could find one or two on his shopping list that we don't have, h aha.

However, when I do a crawfish boil, I always add some alligator sausage to the mix, but I really don't care for it by itself.

Frog legs are rather tasty too. There was a restaurant just outside our town where i grew up that served them on Sundays. Little stringy with the Cartlidge, but a good taste.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although I live up north, I've tried alligator twice when traveling down south.
One time tasted like the chicken, the other time tasted like swamp.
I'm guessing the former was farm raised and the latter wasn't.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I didn’t know there was commercial pond raised alligator for sale.

Today at noon the local BB-Q joint offered it, and I tried it.

If you like fried frog legs and fried chicken nuggets you should like alligator.

The owner described alligator as a cross between frog legs and chicken nuggets and I can’t think of any better description.

It was delicious, but I’d prefer frog legs only, if I had my druthers.

Ever try alligator?
It’s tasty! I live in South Louisiana & I’m lucky enough to know a few gator farmers(ranchers?) so I get fresh meat every now & again. Most of what is sold is tail meat, which if cooked correctly is delicious. Not unlike frog legs, but can be chewy if overcooked. The farmers I’ve been getting stuff from brought some jowls last time & man, that’s where it’s at. I trimmed the chunks up, marinated them in kimchi, breaded & fried them. Big hit. I used some in gumbo as well, in place of the chicken, & it was a good substitute.
Gator farming is really interesting. Basically the farmers buy eggs or gather them from wild nests, incubate & hatch them, raise all the hatchlings for about a year, then release 15-17% of the young gators in to the wild. This percentage is based on Fish & Wildlife statistics that say only 15-17% of hatchlings make it to their first year. It’s very sustainable apparently cuz alligators were protected until the late 80’s, early 90’s. Now they’re everywhere. FYI the show, Swamp People, gives an accurate, if not overly dramatic, account of how larger gators are harvested. But most of the ones harvested during gator season aren’t sold for their meat. They get eaten, but it’s mostly to help control population & for their hides.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've eaten quite a bit of gator. Had to professionally. Worked at a place in Central PA that served it. Lovely stuff but tenderizing it is really key. Fun fact the guy I replaced got fired and took the recipe for all the gator stuff with him. Had to try and recreate them from the details other people remembered. Ended up turning it from a novelty to something that actually sold regularly. It's quite good and doesn't taste anything like I thought it would. Basically didn't try to make it great just tried to make it acceptable.

Reactions: Streeper541

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Had it as well as frog legs, escargot, and conch. Only 1 I didn't care for was conch as it was too tough. Also love Rocky Mountain oysters.:LOL:

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Here I thought this was going to be about Savinelli's alligator finishes. puffy

As for the critter, never had it but have been curious what it is like.

Reactions: anotherbob