Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
San Diego
When I first got into smoking a pipe around a decade ago, I tried Early Morning Pipe. I wasn't ready and really disliked it - because of it stayed away from other blends from them. This week I was decided to pick up a tin of My Mixture 965 and smoked my first bowl today. Lesson learned, this blend is amazing... Time to cellar a handful of tins and give EMP another chance.

My question is, what blends did you try in the past and for whatever reason didn't enjoy until later?

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Too many for me to list.
Sometimes my taste changes like the wind and what I enjoy today I’m burnt out on tomorrow . I might smoke a blend every day for months and then I change to another often revisiting an old blend I got tired of and boom I’m back on that blend again. Age, weather, nic content all play a part with me in some fashion. I smoke 5 or more blends in any given week and sometimes a day. I smoke what I feel like and when the mood strikes but always have 3 or 4 regulars I tend to utilize the most.
Part of the fun for me is returning to something and getting something different from it. Habana Daydream is one that I tend to get bored with quickly but get an urge for it and Keep it around and find something different from it every time I revisit it. As far as dislikes usually they are aromatics and I generally don’t go back to them unless I liked it right away. Autumn Evening would be an example of one I keep around.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I liked all the sweet goopy aromatics until I didn't. I liked viginias until I didn't. I tried a bunch of blends then I found Lane 1-Q and Sutliff 507-C. 507-C is a regular for me. Lane 1-Q is an occasional treat as is Autumn Evening. I can handle a bowl or two and then I'm good for a while. I'm trying Sutliff Sweet Virginia now but not enamored. Tastes change fortunately. Variety is the spice of life they say !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
When I first got into smoking a pipe around a decade ago, I tried Early Morning Pipe. I wasn't ready and really disliked it - because of it stayed away from other blends from them. This week I was decided to pick up a tin of My Mixture 965 and smoked my first bowl today. Lesson learned, this blend is amazing... Time to cellar a handful of tins and give EMP another chance.

My question is, what blends did you try in the past and for whatever reason didn't enjoy until later?
I occasionally like the Sutliff Match Sunrise version of EMP too.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Let's just say that the experience I have today makes smoking a real pleasure. I remember that being a perfect ignoramus, I was lucky enough to buy a little bit of everything. But I could have refined more, and had a good cellar with more variety of Virginia. Now I enjoy them as never before. But I am not willing to pay 25 euros for a tin of 50 grams.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
My first round with a pipe back in 2009 I simply hated latakia. Now I love it. Still I guess it constitutes about a third of my smokes. Maybe half if you count the small sprinkles I put in other blends.

Im gathering what I can to build a bit of a cellar becuase prices are not gonna go down. That is for sure. The going rate for my blends is about 22 per 100 gram. I guess really about 25 when you consider shipping. Having learned to slow down thats a lot of pipe bowls. I aim for a 45-5- minute smoke. My scale is not accurate enough to be sure but I think a bowl is about 2g.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I occasionally like the Sutliff Match Sunrise version of EMP too.
I like the Sutliff match, but I also tried Hearth & Home's Daybreak, and found that when I mix the two 50:50, it's perfect. Daybreak is drier, almost too dry, whereas Sunrise is slightly too moist, so the two together make a lovely match when allowed to rest a few days.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I like the Sutliff match, but I also tried Hearth & Home's Daybreak, and found that when I mix the two 50:50, it's perfect. Daybreak is drier, almost too dry, whereas Sunrise is slightly too moist, so the two together make a lovely match when allowed to rest a few days.
I'm discovering 'drying' Sutliff blends as they are quite moist 'from the bag'. !

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I recently received a package of 5 mixed open tins that a fella on Facebook had tried a bowl or two out of each and decided he didn't like, so he sold them off for cheap ($5 each): Escudo, Rattray's Old Gowrie, Peterson Sherlock Holmes, Peterson Irish Cask, and SPC Seattle Evening. An absolute steal, worth taking a risk on.

When I received the package, the tin contents were all suuuuuuuper moist, bordering on almost dripping. I looked at the return address on the package and realized that the seller is in Texas, where the humidity wouldn't have allowed him to dry out the tobacco to a reasonable smoking condition, which well could've contributed to his dislike of the blends, since there didn't seem otherwise to be any common characteristics among them.

I transferred everything to mason jars, dried out some of the Escudo (took about 3 hours!), and it smoked like a charm. The Old Gowrie is up next.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Many years ago, when I was young and stupid (you know......, before becoming suave and debonair. :col:) I bought a large package of Esoterica Tobacianna - Stonehaven. I did not have the palate and understanding to appreciate it so I thought it was a flop.

Fortunately, I did not toss it, but packaged it up and kept it. Now, I understand just how good that it is. After being aged probably 15 years, it is really something.