PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I like my aromatics but I don't mind experimenting with

other blends. That's part of the fun in smoking a pipe.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Simple, really. BECAUSE REAL MEN SMOKE LATAKIA!
That's all folks! Aros and VA's don't do "it" for me the way Lady Latakia does. My take on the subject boils down to TESTOSTERONE. The more of one you have on the tip of your stem the more of the other you want in the bowl. I can tell when my "T" levels are at peak by the blend I'm burning in my bowl. First in the AM and last in the PM is always a heavy, full body lat blend. There is just no goopy aro substitute for Three Oaks Syrian, or Odessey when the man in me attends to business. Any "war department" challenge is in for the fight of a lifetime. "I'd rather fight than switch"!
For a good "T" laugh:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/confessions-of-a-pipeman-on-national-tv-with-jimmy-fallon/

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Is there anything more interesting than discussing the "taste" of something?

And can there be anything more inconclusive?

We'll never agree. That's why there are thousands of blends.

Put me in the aro camp.

Just yesterday when I went to my local booze & baccy joint to restock on 1Q I bought an ounce of a Lane's English blend. It's fine as a change of pace, maybe 3 or 4 bowls a week, but there's no way I'd smoke this stuff everyday. While it burns cool and the flavor is a pleasant change of pace I'll never really enjoy the aroma. And this from a guy who can easily smoke a bowl of PA, CH or H&H and enjoy it.

Taste is so subjective and intensely personal it's simply impossible to predict or categorize personal preference.

My favorite pie is peach. Yours might be apple.

I like a pale ale. You might prefer a stout brew.

I'll take a slow-smoked center-cut pork chop over a New York strip steak.

You get the idea.

And I don't completely buy the pipe-smoking evolution theory.

Perhaps that is the case with some smokers, but certainly not all and perhaps not even most.

If that was the case, 1Q would not be the best-selling blend.

In my case, I have tried several english blends over the years, dating back to the early 70s, some were acceptable and even enjoyable and some were not. And I've also smoked some crappy aros.

Yes, sometimes our tastes do change but I would be reluctant to use the term "evolve" because that implies that english blends are somehow "better."

For some they might be. For others, probably most, they are certainly not. They're just different.

I met an old guy a couple of weeks ago buying his tin of PA. Said he's been smoking it for many years. I asked him if he ever smoked anything else. He said years ago he tried a bunch of different blends at a tobacco shop (that has long since closed) but he just didn't like them as much as his PA.

So that's how his tastes have "evolved." And he's a pipe smoker for over 40 years.

Smoke what you like. Try 'em all. That's part of the fun of being a pipe smoker.

And now it's time to reload my pipe -- with 1Q.

Cheers!

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It is deffo a matter of tastes, I have never enjoyed aromatic blend so always favoured the English ones, my grandad always smoked aromatic blends. It all boils down to preference. However I know a lot of smokers start with more aromatic or milder blends, then over time experiment with stronger mixes, this may lead to some of the graduation talk!
I just smoke what I like

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I like them both.
I started with a pipe from the Captain's Walk Mens Shop and a pouch of Capt Black White from Walgreens. Now, this is after years of schmelling my Dad's ever burning Sir Walter Releigh.
I found a book that was about the history of pipes and tobacco. I noticed this strange sounding tobacco called Latakia ? Flavored by burning peat moss, camel dung and what ever to give it a smokey flavor. Wow, I had to at least try it.
I ventured over to a Tinder Box, long before the internet, the Tinder Box was The pipe shop of conniseur pipe schmokers. Opening the lid to the Latakia blend Philosopher I remember the schmell today, my eyes watered as my mouth watered.I bought a pouch, maybe 2-3 ounces and could not wait will I got home to try it out.
The first few puffs and more erupted into thick clouds of cotton hanging just at my wifes eye level. She appeared to stoop under the cloud of smokey luxary and asked what in the world was this and did it always hang in th eair like that ?
There it was, I was exiled from the living room ( we called it the living room back then ) when I wanted to enjoy Latakia. Captain Black was still OK, she liked and still likes the vanilla aroma.
To this day I enjoy the smokey, cool sensation of Latakia.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I found a book that was about the history of pipes and tobacco. I noticed this strange sounding tobacco called Latakia ? Flavored by burning peat moss, camel dung and what ever to give it a smokey flavor.
While the above is a myth, the War Department got her nickname for the very reasons you site as the experience with yours. :D

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
@Lawrence:
Yeah, I sorta thought it would become a lively discussion. Maybe it was partially the manipulative HS Psych teacher in me, but I honestly was just curious to hear different viewpoints on the matter. I've enjoyed reading all these and will continue to read other responses as they continue to roll in.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Hey, Patiobum I remember those Tinder Box stores.

Back in the 70s they were quite a chain, at least here in the Midwest. They even used to be in some shopping malls. In those days you could wonder into the TB and get a sample bowl, go for a stroll in the mall and then go back to the TB and buy a few ounces if you liked the baccy. They also used to have a half-decent selection of "basket" pipes and "seconds."

Alas, there are none left in this area.

Is TB just an online operation now or do they still have some bricks-and-mortar stores?
And Lawrence, my War Department gave me one of those "what on earth are you smoking?" warnings when she got a whiff of an English blend a few weeks ago.

English baccy is a basement or patio blend in this household. (or when she's not home)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't buy or like the whole "Evolution of Pipe Smoking" thing either.
I smoke all different kinds of tobacco from heavy aromatics to heavy Latakia blends. I love variety and variety is the spice of life. I love a good steak, but if I ate steak everyday for every meal it would get boring real fast. Tobacco blends are the same to me. I smoke whatever I have a hankering for at that moment and 99% of the time I will not smoke the same blend twice in 1 day.
The bottom line is; Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.
This is a great thread!

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Bob, I totally agree with "smoke what you like and like what you smoke."

However, I think most people go through some pipe-smoking evolution.
I mean, who's first bowl was Hal o' the Wind? Really?

No.

Most people roll through some 1Q for a while before they even try, say, a Peterson blend, just like they started their beer drinking with Natty-Light.

People smoke what's popular (the rash of Tinderbox and Lane blends) before they figure out what they really like. OR, they never really stop liking that stuff. I guess there's a reason those are popular.
Two thoughts come to mind on the anti-aromatic bias:

1. A lot of people get tired of aromatics because there are a lot of crappy ones out there that only smell nice (and don't taste like they smell) and gunk the hell out of your pipe. I think these are legit reasons that some people stay away from aro's and encourage friends to do likewise--though there ARE exceptions...like the blessed Trout Stream!
2. When it comes to reviews (which, let's face it, a lot of us including me are influenced by), a lot of these guys writing the reviews have been puffin on 7 bowls a day for 40 years. They don't have a lot of taste-buds left.

Most of the tobacco's they can enjoy now are based on a dare--like an IPA Beer.

So it takes some kind of behemoth like a Hal O the Wynd or a Full Virginia Flake to get them to even notice. But these get a lot of the positive reviews and we think we need to like them as well.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Excellent Thread. When I first started pipe smoking and hanging at Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco - there was a subtle pressure to graduate to English. Aromatics were always Haw, Haw, Hawed at. Not in a mean way - but that was environment. From Marty Pulvers, Gregory Peas and Steve Richmond I was turned on to some awesome English Blends and for years that is what I smoked.
However, as time passed - I found out that as long as a Blend was "WELL MADE" I enjoyed it. Now I smoke it all and I thank God that I count as my mentors/advisors/tobacco blenders/Merchants - Russ Oulette - Pipes and Cigars/Hearth and Home Tobaccos, Rich Gottlieb @ 4 Noggins, Jack Peterson - Sterling/1776, The Folks at Uhle's, Steve Books/Bill Schindler - Richs and Carol Burns - Pipeworks and Wilke. God Bless you Guys.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
There are a lot of English smokers that have an anti aro bias. They have made English blends the cool type to smoke and look down their noses at anyone smoking anything else. Some forums are really bad about this. But personally, I like all tobaccos and keep all on hand. I smoke what I am in the mood for and I could care less about the cool factor. I would never knock anybody for what they smoke. After all it is all about enjoyment of the pipe and if its English or the much criticised Mixture 79 then power to them. I hate it when an aro smoker gets the attitude. That is not comradeship to our brothers in the briar. I don't believe in the evolution either unless it is someone that just wants in the cool camp. I like variety as well.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The whole idea behind a good pipe of whatthehellever tobacco is enjoyment. Having been a pro cook I know that a lot of people pretend to enjoy some downright foul things as far as flavor goes. Sit back, smoke, relax and enjoy what you smoke. Makes the whole world look a lot brighter.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I do agree that a lot of pipe smokers tastes will change over time.
However, it seems that a lot of pipe smokers say that in order to really appreciate pipe smoking and to become a "real" pipe smoker, that you have to switch from aromatics to Latakia blends. I do not agree with this mind set.
I speak more about this subject in my latest article:
Evolution of Pipe Smokers?

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Bob, I just read the article and learned a few things. It was a good, informative article. I like Latakia but still like the "usual" aromatics as well. Like previously said before by others, it all depends on my mood. I'll be walking to my stash wanting some 1Q and when I get there, I'll grab some Northwoods instead. I'm just thankful to have a good supply of differents blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.