PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I've been noticing that all of my pipes have been working better lately. They burn cooler and require less re-lighting. My tongue isn't being bitten either. The tobacco just tastes better.

It isn't the weather conditions or the climate inside of my home that have changed (although it is starting to cool off in my part of the country). I have finally started to get the hang of it! I have finally started getting a handle on how to pack a bowl and then using better technique to smoke it. Also, I have learned the importance of allowing tobacco to dry for a while before ignition.

I honestly thought a couple of my pipes just didn't smoke well. I really thought I didn't care for a couple of the tobacco blends that I have. Turns out that when you get better at packing and smoking, EVERY type of tobacco tastes better, from Lane 1Q to Quiet Nights. I have started to learn that not every bowl I own can be packed (or even smoked) the exact same way, something I did not really understand before. Lots of little things that added up to me enjoying this hobby even more.

Some of the stuff I learned from reading posts on this website, I also got a lot out of the muttonchop piper videos on Youtube. When I first tried to get into pipes twenty years ago, I really didn't know what I was doing and lost interest. This time I have used the resources of the internet and I am getting so much more enjoyment from pipe smoking. Turns out I like that Fox & Hound blend much more than I thought I did, I just didn't know how to smoke it before!

I am still a novice in terms on pipe smoking, but thanks to many people I will probably never meet in real life I am enjoying it more than ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been noticing that all of my pipes have been working better lately. They burn cooler and require less re-lighting. My tongue isn't being bitten either. The tobacco just tastes better.

It isn't the weather conditions or the climate inside of my home that have changed (although it is starting to cool off in my part of the country). I have finally started to get the hang of it! I have finally started getting a handle on how to pack a bowl and then using better technique to smoke it. Also, I have learned the importance of allowing tobacco to dry for a while before ignition.

I honestly thought a couple of my pipes just didn't smoke well. I really thought I didn't care for a couple of the tobacco blends that I have. Turns out that when you get better at packing and smoking, EVERY type of tobacco tastes better, from Lane 1Q to Quiet Nights. I have started to learn that not every bowl I own can be packed (or even smoked) the exact same way, something I did not really understand before. Lots of little things that added up to me enjoying this hobby even more.

Some of the stuff I learned from reading posts on this website, I also got a lot out of the muttonchop piper videos on Youtube. When I first tried to get into pipes twenty years ago, I really didn't know what I was doing and lost interest. This time I have used the resources of the internet and I am getting so much more enjoyment from pipe smoking. Turns out I like that Fox & Hound blend much more than I thought I did, I just didn't know how to smoke it before!

I am still a novice in terms on pipe smoking, but thanks to many people I will probably never meet in real life I am enjoying it more than ever!
Good for you! Welcome to the fold!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I agree that most of the enjoyment of an pipe, using any blend, comes from long experience learning how to
fill, to sip, to tamp, to relight when needed, and finally when to quit.

You have to get so natural and experienced being a pipe smoker as any other ritualized skill, to where it’s unconscious.

My guitars and my shotguns all work better now than years ago.:)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's a shame that pipe smoking has such a difficult learning curve. But if it didn't tobacco would be really hard to find.
It makes me wonder why we all stuck with it.
Oh and I love these posts, the you guys helped me enjoy my pipes. It is one time the internet works like promised. You know improving peoples lives by allowing for the free flow of information. You know instead of allowing people to indulge in their worst in their worst tendencies in anonymity and tell strangers they should die horribly because of the type of pipes they smoke and favorite pizzas.

Last edited:

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
This forum is pipe smoking gold! The cumulative knowledge here is off the charts. Makes one wonder how pipe smoking existed, thrived and even evolved without the internet.
It was more common to have pipe smoking friends or family members who could pass some of their knowledge.
Sadly it's more difficult to find pipe smokers today, at least in southern Europe.
Personally, I don't know any. I would have been lost without the internet.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
It makes me wonder why we all stuck with it.
Oh and I love these posts, the you guys helped me enjoy my pipes. It is one time the internet works like promised. You know improving peoples lives by allowing for the free flow of information. You know instead of allowing people to indulge in their worst in their worst tendencies in anonymity and tell strangers they should die horribly because of the type of pipes they smoke and favorite pizzas.
You should def take the bridge if you like different pizza then me.

Reactions: kcghost