PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's another benefit to smoking to the bottom or very nearly so: When you're done, the briar is dry. The heat from the ember dissipates the moisture and the heel is no longer soggy. Ready for a pipe-cleaner and time to reload! This would seem to reduce or eliminate the need to rest the pipe for any period. Though resting a pipe regardless of moisture in the heel seems a natural thing.
There's still moisture in the mortise. A good clean out after a day's use will take care of that and help keep your pipe sweet.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Just to be contrary; In my modest collection are two Petersons, one with a thin bowl and one with a thick one. The one with a thin bowl always smokes cool, the one with the thick bowl quickly gets too hot to touch. Go figure.
Only two things would shock me with Petersons: on-center drilling, and no fills.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Well, mine have perfect drilling, no fills, and no stain in the bowls. I bought them in the 70's or early 80's.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, mine have perfect drilling, no fills, and no stain in the bowls.
Ditto. Shutterbug, I've noticed you tend to be a very negative person much of the time. You seem to be quite down on 90% of the tobaccos out there (aros, save but a very few), and now Petersons. I've been buying Petersons since the early 70's, in fact, one was my very first pipe! Still have not had a bad one, but if I did, I would simply return it for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.