PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke111

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
i like to smoke dans old ironsides all day the key is to leave a few bowls out over night to dry out a bit

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
If you really want a good Straight Virginia try:

Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd

It does have touch of Perique and maybe something else just to control the flavor.

But, you'll never know they were there.

Nothing short of "OMG this great!"
Another that has a Nic Kick that can give you a real case of the Spins... If you aren't careful.

And tastes absolutely wonderful...

Try:

G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight
:puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
My all day smoke is pretty much anything that is not a lat bomb. Some recent favorites:
Bagpipers Dream

Brians Blend

7 Seas Royal

Victorian Stroll

AJs Vaper

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Would someone please tell me what a straight VA is and who makes it.

well everbody has one Rattray's Hal o the Wynd, McCrainies Red Ribbon,C&D's Briar Fox and Manhatten Afternoon i have a tin of Sam G's Full Va Flake but i am letting it age and McBarrens and McClelland both have several as well

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
If I was going to choose an all day smoke it would most probably be SG FVF or St James Flake.Evening times it would be Squadron Leader or Balkan Flage,both SG.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Middleton's Apple or Royal Comfort, 1Q, PS Optimum, or Half&Half ...right now I'm spending a lot of time with Lane's Smokers Pride Black Cavendish mixed equally with Half&Half. This has been an awesome smoke! The H&H ups the Nic and adds sweetness to the very mild vanilla and subtle nutty flavor of the SPBC. Plus the price is right! I plan on cellaring a bunch of this.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I bought a pond of Sterings bargin blend and thats what I doing for now.

Know it will change if I order some more. McClellends Am or The Virgina,which I have,

Is sweet and smooth

Only problem is I still haven't got the packing right. Hot Bowl.

Joe

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I do tend to change my "all day smoke" fairly regularly. In this current cold weather, I am really enjoying Robert Lewis - Wingfield Mixture. It has a really full and interesting flavour without being too strong. One of the few blends I can smoke with my first cup of tea of the day.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
@portascat - I have 1Q and BCA. Got the BCA to try. Just finished a bowl of it and again found it a bit tart or harsh. So appreciate the idea of blending it with 1Q. What ratio do you like?

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
1Q for me too.. its a nice easy smoke. Always good. Love 7 seas too.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to second portascat's recommendation: a blend of 1Q and BCA. I tried this recently and enjoyed it. Yet (being the burley lover that I am), I wanted a bit more burley flavor. I had about 3 oz. of PS Cube Cut lying around; I was no longer smoking it due to the bite it gives me (when smoked alone). In to the mixing bowl it went!
So I have a good, basic everyday blend on hand when I want to lay off the more expensive stuff: equal parts 1Q, BCA, and PS CC (well, maybe a little more CC). Good stuff, and thanks to portascat for the idea.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
For English blends it would have to be FMOTT, followed by Boswell Countryside. As for aros, my first choice is a blend from my local B&M called C. C. Cavendish. After that it would be Lane's 1Q followed by a blend of my own making which I call The Black Prince. It's a 50/50 mix of Prince Albert and Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish, although I'm sure that Lane BCA would work fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.