PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
So despite my doubts about the Sav Roley I ended up picking one up at an eBay auction today for a price I couldn't resist. I'll report back on how it smokes. Also, I hear one can smoke a bowl in 10-15 min, so it might be perfect for when I'm in the company of nail smokers.
$T2eC16h,!)cE9s4PvnR+BRtiU2M7!!~~60_57.JPG

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
The MM Pony Express is working out well except first day I had it the plastic bit started breaking as I was twisting it out of the stem. I put it back in before it broke all the way. It still smokes fine though. It's the first new pipe I've been able to break in. Kinda cool watching the cake build up. Nice little pipe but like was said, it's not really a pocketable pipe.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
vamike, I'm glad to know it is working out well for you! Ya gotta be careful with the stems, some of them are too tight. A little wax will fix that problem straight up, and you can probably just include some replacement stems with your next order. The standard replacement stems run about 80 cents each. Just make sure you get the right kind, I think the Pony takes the non-filtered ones.
I'm still waiting on my Roley to ship, but I hope to have it and review it within a week. I'm hoping it surprises me and is a good smoke. It just seems like such a great shape to be able to carry it in a pocket.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Perry White has a small series pipe called Break Timers
www.perrywhitepipes.com
They are made of Algerian briar so they will hold up well.
I hope members find this helpful.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Here is yet another choice for a small pocket sized pipe. This Savinelli Lolita smokes beautifully and comes with a fair price of about 60.00 new. These can use the 6mm Balsa filter system. I found this one on eBay at 14.00. Good luck in your search and welcome aboard.
sav1-600x385.jpg

fyfbuddy

Lurker
Sep 24, 2011
I have a Savinelli Roley and a Cobb that I use at work. The Roley is nice but the bowl shape is pretty constrictive. I love the Cobb and it is dirt cheap! I also found a small straight pipe at a local smoke shop with no markings. It has served its purpose well as it is easy to smoke on duty due to its size. Sometimes the unknowns come through!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
MM Ozark Hardwoods and cobs are my first choice. My first briar pipe was a cheap no name Italian "sport" pipe. It is fine to carry in a pant pocket but I haven't smoked in several years. It gets hot as a furnace no matter how gentle I sip it. Nowadays in the winter months I carry a two pipe/ tobacco pouch and in the summer I keep one loaded up and stuffed in a shirt pocket, be it a cob, hardwood, or a good briar.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I got a La Rocca Piccola pocket pipe two weeks ago, from Cup O' Joes a couple of weeks ago, and this little pipe beats all the other pipes I have. I use this pipe for regular smoking, but it is also my "test" pipe to try new tobaccos. It is also an extraordinary handsome pipe, very traditional looking. Mine is sandblasted with a rich sienna color. Smokes and looks gorgeous!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Any of the Stanwell Featherweights would do too. I like this shape a lot:
002-034-7288.jpg

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Usually I carry a bag of some sort when on the go, so I bring the pipes I want. However, I have a Stanwell Featherweight that is perfect on the go
I have this Rattray's Butchers boy and with the short stem is perfect to just fetch and put in the pocket http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=2441#.UfdzwmSqx08
Peterson's bent systempipes are quite compact. http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=412#.Ufdyq2Sqx08
But the REAL pocket pipe i guess is Rattray's Polly http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=4792#.Ufdz5mSqx08

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I believe "Army Mount" pipes were traditionally used for the the type of job the OP mentioned. Just break em down and stow the pieces in yr pocket and then charge with sabers flying etc. See this previous thread about Army mount pipes:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/army-mount-pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.