PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
@SmokeRings79 & sandollars (and others who suggested tobaccos):

I have blown my budget in tobaccos for now. Since I'm just getting back into pipes, and I live in Sweden where the tax is quite high on tobacco (not as high as in Australia where I come from, it's crazy there as I'm sure OzPiper will atest to), I just put in one "big order" from tobaccopipes.com ... and then hope it doesn't get flagged by customs and I have to pay the crazy tax. The thing is, even if it does get flagged by customs and I have to pay the import tax, it's still close to 2/3 the price of buying it here in Sweden. From memory, in Australia it was more like 1/4 the price, with the added bonus that they had no idea what pipe tobacco tins were so never flagged them.

Anyway ... point of that rant is that a) I probably don't have the ones you suggest readily available, any pipe tobacco I find here is mostly Danish, a little bit from the UK & Europe) and b) even if I did, I already blew my "allowance".

FWIW, I bought what I think is a solid selection. I'll make another post about it just for the conversation.

Anchovies

Might Stick Around
The more I'm reading about tongue-bite, the more I'm convinced it's chemical and not heat-related.

Like I said, I sip slow and the bowl remains comfortably warm in my hand right down to the last bit (sometimes I even cup my whole hand around it because it feels nice - not at all too hot). The smoke obviously does not "feel" hot in my mouth at all when I smoke it.

It feels like I've been soaking my tongue in vinegar. That kind of "burn". Not heat. Whether alcohol makes it worse, I don't know. But I have to rest my mouth a few days now, then I'll try again with zero alcohol (or bubbly drink at all) and report if it makes any difference for me & others with similar sensitivity.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Could it be simply where you're directing the smoke to the tongue via your stem? Sometimes that can habitually go toward and direct everything to the same consistent spot.
But that can be varied and might make a difference.