PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Interesting video, Sable! I would imagine that any bent acrylic stem would be considered heat treated, due to the heat applied to bend the stem? So would that make bent acrylic stems even more susceptible to alcohol damage than straight ones?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Probably, though since it's bad with or without heat, it's acadmenic, no?
I also offer some information of the causes of these sensitivities, how they can be lessened, and potential theories as to why they occur. If you want to skip all that though then I'll also post a few pictures on the next page of the various solvents effects after the Acrylic edges have been heat treated and left in them for 5 minutes each.
Yes, photos of damaged pieces of acrylic are there.
And
Side note, some other Brand Names for Acrylic that also are not safe to clean with alcohol:
"Acrylite®, Plexiglas®, Lucite®, Optix®, Polycast®, Chemcast®, Acriglas®, & Excelon®."

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Academic for sure...sorry for the somewhat irrelevant question haha. Fascinating stuff! :puffpipe:

Jun 27, 2016
I checked out an acrylic windscreen manufacturers website, & they suggest Iso & water mixed 50/50 as one way to clean their product, so maybe that's a good answer if you want to use Iso. :puffpipe:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
+1 to Sable. I read on a restorer’s sight some time ago to use Bar Keepers Friend on acrylics and especially Perspex. I have several estate GBDs where this has worked well in cleaning. I dip a pipe cleaner in just a little liquid BKF run it through, rinse, and then run dry cleaners and set.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Yikes! I’ve been using Everclear on my beloved yellow acrylic stems. Thanks for the knowledge. Now I feel like I’ve been inadvertently poisoning the family dog. Guess I’ll switch to hot water for the stems.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Slidell, LA
Sable, as usual, is correct. I used to just clean my acrylic stems with a pipe cleaner dipped in either Iso or Everclear and never noticed a problem until last year when a clear stem developed micro cracks along the airway. Now, if the stem is really gunked up, I use Barkeeper's Friend and then subject it to a good, warm water rinse. Haven't seen any adverse effects since the switch.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
pappymac, your suggestion is a good one. Acrylic plastics will resist the oxalic acid in the barkeepers friend much better than they will alcohol (ethyl or iso). I use barkeepers friend for all kinds of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.