PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I've unintentionally ruined two acrylic stems by using isopropyl alcohol to clean them out: One cracked and broke entirely. Another developed a large crack but held together. Has anybody else had this experience? If so, what's a better way to clean acrylic stems?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
91% Iso. Alcohol is all I've ever used. The only stems I've come across that require care when using it are the nylon,fine to clean with but don't soak them. I'd say you just happened to get a couple of bad stems.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I use Everclear on my stems and have had very good success.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I had a similar experience several years ago with an acrylic stem on an estate pipe. Interestingly, it was a clear acrylic stem so you could actually visualize what happened. It didn't break but got a bunch of small cracks throughout that emanated from the airway. I remember posting it on some of the forums to see if anyone else had similar experiences and it was dismissed as an oddity. I'm curious of the circumstances with your stem. I was also using a retort so heat was another potential contributing factor. Was heat involved with yours? I'm also curious of the brand and age of pipe. Mine was an estate GBD or Savinelli but for the life of me I can't remember which.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rotate a lot of pipes (well forty) so I don't resort to alcohol cleaning, though I might if I were cleaning estate pipes.

I like the idea of gin or bourbon since this is something that I might ingest anyway, so a light coating that evaporates

seems pretty acceptable. I'm glad to be informed about the potential mishap. I don't own any clear acrylic stems,

but I might at some point. Useful information to keep in mind, as is much on Forums.

concreterocks

Lurker
Mar 27, 2019
I recently picked up two estate pipes with clear stems which I don't think had ever been cleaned. After spending hours with 91% isopropyl alcohol and pipe cleaners, I decided it was time to get serious.
I soaked a bristled pipe cleaner in alcohol and stuck it in my cordless drill. That did a good job but not all the way. I then broke out the Soft Scrub kitchen cleaner coated a damp pipe cleaner with it.
That did the trick. I finished both stems in around 35 minutes which was MUCH faster than I ever could have done with alcohol and pipe cleaners.

concreterocks

Lurker
Mar 27, 2019
IMG_9195.JPG

IMG_9196.JPG

IMG_9198.JPG

Images for post above... Now that I figured out how to add images. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Alcohol and acrylic don't mix. Alcohol has a chemical reaction with acrylic that causes acrylic to form micro fissures, leading to cracking over the long run. I clean mine with warm running water, and a drop or two of unscented liquid soap.
Likewise, I don't recommend using hot water on Vulcanite as it causes the sulphur content to discolor. I use alcohol for Vulcanite.

Reactions: Marie

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Thanks for weighing in Jesse. I’ve read for years to avoid ETOH with acrylic stems. I think it was you who set me straight early on. But I never really knew why. Thankfully I’ve used only water on my Italian pipes with acrylic stems and have never had a problem.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Glad this thread was resurrected. I worked for a plastic distributor for a couple years, remember an acrylic vendor training session, ammonia based products (ex Windex) would cause hazing & eventually break down the material. Wasn’t aware of alcohol attacking acrylic, though it wasn’t discussed. I attempted a retort on an acrylic steamed pipe, cost me a new stem. I use soft scrub or an auto rubbing compound and pipe cleaner, then follow up with dish soap & clean water. Regular maint, I’ll just use soap & water.
Regarding the shank & bowl, I use the salt method. Sometimes I’ll find a spare vulcanite stem that fits & perform a Retort.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Post made reminded me of EJames..again.

Bought 2 tampers from him, what a gentleman. Miss him here.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I did rub my acrylic stems with gin or vodka when I got the pipes, in order to disinfect them. Didn't make a habit of regularly rubbing them with alcohol, though. I just wash them with dish soap and lukewarm water now.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Interesting! When it comes to cleaning I've used 91 for years with no (apparent) problems, but then again I don't have any clear stems. I wonder if my pipes hate me & are just too polite to say anything. Fortunately I don't use it all the time so maybe they're just not cirrhotic yet. :)
Bill

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just a good reminder since 70% of my pipes have acrylic stems on them, and prior I was using some high proof vodkas in cleaning airways,but now I may rethink this procedure all over and not make habit of using alcohol in cleaning Acrylic stems

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Acrylic is my favorite and I haven't had any problems here using an alcohol based cleaner and sweetener.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come along and say something like this. Somebody always does. Just because you haven't noticed anything doesn't mean that your tenons aren't getting weakened a little bit with each use.

It's not for nothing that I try to pass on good information. Why do people insist on passing along bad information?
Much as I avoid most youtube videos, this one is to the point. Just skip the first 2 minutes of blather.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Why-You-Dont-Clean-Acrylic-With-Alcohol-Methyl-Eth/
And it's not hard to find this stuff out. Just do a google search.

Reactions: Marie

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
As shared above, not a good mix. Alcohol breaks down the polymers which constitute the acrylic. While not immediately destructive, it's harmful in the long term. Don't do it! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.