PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
r: I've smoked several different manufactures of Revelation, and even the best one is not as good as Epiphany, though the flavor profile is the very similar. The Revelation Match is pretty good, too. I've smoked versions from the 1950s, 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s.
Here's my review of the House of Windsor productions:

I've smoked this a few times, always hoping to change my mind and like it. It has all the elements of a good blend - the kind I should like - but it never did much for me. I didn't care for the toppings. The perique is very mild as is the latakia. I hardly noticed the perique. The rest of the ingredients never seemed to be of high quality. The Virginia and burley were less sweeter than expected, with very little nuttiness and earth, though the Va. was a kind of grassy. Overall, I found it very dull and disappointing. It's not awful, just more boring than it should be. It tended to smoke hot and harsh near the finish with a cardboard hit. Maybe the Philip Morris version that Albert Einstein smoked was better, but I never tried it, and can only go by what I smoked.
Edit 10-14-2015: Recently, I was fortunate enough to try the 1950s Philip Morris version and another batch of the HoW version from the 1980s. The '50s version had most of the virtues of my original review, though the topping and latakia had faded some with time. Even still, it was better than the HoW versions I cited, and I give that three stars.
However, the HoW version I was gifted is a big improvement from the earlier HoW versions I have smoked. The latakia had some smoky woody strength in a supporting role, and was not dulled by time. The perique was a minor player, with spice and plum. The Virginia was grassy, citrus sweet. The burley was nutty, and a little earthy. The fruity topping is pleasantly sweet, slightly tangy. There's some spice here that I have noticed in other HoW products that doesn't come from perique, so it must be the way one of the components was manufactured. Burned well, reasonably cool, though it needed to be sipped a little, and left a dry bowl.
It is common knowledge that HoW had severe quality control problems by the end of the 1990s, and into the 2000s before they ceased production in 2004. This version I have been smoking obviously came from one of the good batches, and I award it three stars. I'm leaving my overall rating at two stars because with HoW, you never know what you will get when you find a vintage tin.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I like the PC match pretty well.

JimInks, your taste buds should be insured by Lloyd's of London!!

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
JimInks: good to know today's Epiphany beats yesterday's Revelation(s)!

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
For what its worth, J Robert Oppenhiemer smoked Middleton's Walnut...per biographer Kai Bird.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Just tried MATCH: Revelation.
EXCELLENT! I was shocked at the delightful flavor and complexity. Would buy again, and most of my tobaccos are my own custom blends.

budrichard

Lurker
Jul 9, 2015
To set the record straight on this thread, Einstein bore direct responsibility for development of the Atomic Bomb.

He signed the letter authored by Szilard that was sent to President Roosevelt urging him to devlop the weapon.

Thank god as my father Lt JG US Navy (wounded on Oamaha Beach) and my father in law, B-17 Pilot with 30+ over Germany would have been sent to aid the invasion of Japan.

One or both of those fine men would probably been killed in the invasion.

I tell my children that the development of the Atomic Bomb was responsible for thier being as my wife and I probably would not have met if either of our fathers were killed in the invasion.-Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.