PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Anyone know of any pipe clubs in Alaska? If not, is there anyone else on the site from Alaska that would be interested in starting one?

Nov 21, 2016
Salt Lake City
I travel to Anchorage every year and seem to remember them having a private pipe club of some sorts a few doors down from G&P Tobacco. You might check with that shop, though last time I visited the guy running the shop (not the owner) was extremely condescending and rude. If you can catch the owner you might have better luck.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
designatedmedia it sounds like you are referring to the cabinet society? I saw a sign for it at G & P but didn't inquire as it seemed like it was just a big room where you can smoke. I'll ask for deets next time I am there, thanks for the reminder!

oldmanskinner

Lurker
Jul 30, 2019
So I just stumbled upon this thread, and what did you find out? I'm interested and may have a couple others from work who might as well.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Well there is The Cabinet Society which costs an arm and a leg. (Low end membership is $500 up front and $75 a month, mostly cigar folks).

A couple other guys and I, who are not willing to pay that much, and wanted something more pipe oriented, met up in Anchorage for the first time yesterday and had a nice smoke. We are on a facebook page called Alaska Pipe Club. So far 7 members, but hopefully more soon! If you DM me your email address I can keep you posted, or you can just join the facebook group. A good group of guys so far! Still looking for indoor options, so we may be bouncing from house to house for the next few meetings.

oldmanskinner

Lurker
Jul 30, 2019
Well there is The Cabinet Society which costs an arm and a leg. (Low end membership is $500 up front and $75 a month, mostly cigar folks).

A couple other guys and I, who are not willing to pay that much, and wanted something more pipe oriented, met up in Anchorage for the first time yesterday and had a nice smoke. We are on a facebook page called Alaska Pipe Club. So far 7 members, but hopefully more soon! If you DM me your email address I can keep you posted, or you can just join the facebook group. A good group of guys so far! Still looking for indoor options, so we may be bouncing from house to house for the next few meetings.

View attachment 9021
Thanks for the update. I had reached out to them and finally received a reply. However, this place is not an option for the money they want. I'll check out the FB page.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks for the update. I had reached out to them and finally received a reply. However, this place is not an option for the money they want. I'll check out the FB page.
Yeah they take forever to communicate, and it costs an absolutely ridiculous amount. Like you said check out the Alaska Pipe Club facebook page. Our next meeting is on Saturday, January 25 at Noon. Location TBD.

architect1803

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020

View attachment 9021

Count me in for this group! The thing is, cigar lounges will be cigar lounges. That’s the beauty of tobacco smokers. That’s actually not a bad price considering overly-expensive Alaska. I inquired with Davidoff in Las Vegas earlier this year (I had a trip booked there before the COVID thing hit) and membership starts at $1,000 down and $250/month for their “basic” membership. These “cigar lounges” are made for the cigar aficionado. You’ll pay if that’s what your social leisure taste calls for. At least that’s what US Senator Don Young pays, a regular at the Cabinet Society of AK. I don’t think $500 down will get me there, maybe half that and I’ll consider it. But, I don’t mind hanging around inside a library-themed lounge on a Saturday night with a bunch of suited pupils who want to chill with some good stogies. It’s Anchorage...what else could you ask for?

Last edited by a moderator:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Count me in for this group! The thing is, cigar lounges will be cigar lounges. That’s the beauty of tobacco smokers. That’s actually not a bad price considering overly-expensive Alaska. I inquired with Davidoff in Las Vegas earlier this year (I had a trip booked there before the COVID thing hit) and membership starts at $1,000 down and $250/month for their “basic” membership. These “cigar lounges” are made for the cigar aficionado. You’ll pay if that’s what your social leisure taste calls for. At least that’s what US Senator Don Young pays, a regular at the Cabinet Society of AK. I don’t think $500 down will get me there, maybe half that and I’ll consider it. But, I don’t mind hanging around inside a library-themed lounge on a Saturday night with a bunch of suited pupils who want to chill with some good stogies. It’s Anchorage...what else could you ask for?

You can find my pairings on Instagram at Don Carlos Cigar Pairings
@doncarloscigarpairing

Did you join this site just to promote that cigar club in Anchorage and your own pairings? This initial post seems a lot like an advertisement...

architect1803

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Did you join this site just to promote that cigar club in Anchorage and your own pairings? This initial post seems a lot like an advertisement...

Not at all. I was talking to my buddy last night about the Cabinet and if he had heard of it before, and he sent me a link to this forum that had the membership pricing on it from people who’d joined. Figured while on the subject I’d throw my pairing page up on here to share my pairings with everyone.

Reactions: BarrelProof
Status
Not open for further replies.