Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It's been a while. Here goes. Fans of brevity, get out now.

Esoterica Dorcheseter
Virginia/Perique
Isle of Jersey

This spring in Alaska has been what we call a “Virgin Spring” because it came early, hard, and fast. As a result, the extremely wet ground and melting snow has provided the ideal conditions for burning off a couple months worth of winter paper trash. Now you might be thinking, “What kind of goddamn redneck burns his trash?” You’re not wrong, but the emissions it takes for us to get our cardboard 45 miles to the dump……well, we are getting sidetracked here.

When going out for a good trash burning it is best to load up the most gigantic pipe one owns. So I did just that. Not long ago I purchased a gargantuan Mario Grandi Poker from mkelawpipes, aka forum sponsor Dave Neeb, or as we know him @mkelaw that currently takes that honor. At 8 inches, with a 3-inch deep 1-inch wide chamber, and smoldering Birdseye all over the enormous stummel, it would certainly suffice. It was recently nicknamed by a forum member “Thor’s Gavel.” It fits.

cb54751c-ba59-4b24-8091-fb4f4447d89b.jpg

Popping a tin of Esoterica is always a special feeling and this was no different. Upon opening I was greeted with a lovely aroma of dark fruit and some bread like, almost honey character. There is also a big hit of lighter fruitiness in the tin note, which could be a light topping of some kind. Some say apricot. Tobacco reviews says none. I say I have no goddamn idea, but I’d lean toward the former. However, it does not detract from the fact that the tin note is still very tobacco driven. And delicious.

The first puffs follow suit. If there is a topping on this blend it works with the tobacco remarkably well and does not sublimate the bready, grassy Virginias that are complimented by “a pinch” of very plum-like perique. If there is not a light topping, then this is one hell of a strain of perique because the deep, fruity flavor of this blend is quite prominent. I think it is likely both working together, which plays very well with the bright and sweet flavor of the base Virginias to create a perfect storm.

0fbcb1a1-edcf-4c87-b418-8aa184afad98.jpg

As the bowl burns down about a half inch I am visited by a couple of snowshoe hares that have been taken by surprise by the quick weather change as well. The snow is nearly all gone but they remain mostly white with only slight mottled brown on their underbelly. Sitting ducks. Despite the fact that they make a wonderful Braised Jamaican Curry, I will not shoot them this time of year, as they are about to breed. Unfortunately the Lynx and Owls are not so merciful and I have stumbled upon a couple of grisly kill sites in the woods while scouting for firewood in the last couple weeks. All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet. Selah.

E6689B48-A61B-43BB-AFAC-4B9D3009D18C.png

Something unique about this blend is that the flavor really does not change that much as it burns down. It is about a medium strength blend, flavor wise, and the nicotine presence is pretty minimal. The moisture level was perfect right out of the tin and this tobacco burns very cool and extremely clean throughout the first 1.5 inches of this bowl, continuing it’s wonderful sweet and sharp flavor. Almost like a light spreading of jam on toast. If it bites you, you are doing it wrong.

Unfortunately for me, at this point, the rain began to fall heavily. While making the fire a little safer, the brim of my hat had no hope of covering the massive hulk of briar jutting out of my face. I switched to snus and beer. I was going to write this review shortly after, but I accidentally got shitfaced, ate 7 fucking street tacos, and passed out on the dog bed on the living room floor. Which if you’ve ever owned a bloodhound, you will know is like passing out on a pillow made of cod liver oil, except full of yeast and bacteria instead of a multitude of health benefits. My wife was not happy with me. Nor was the dog.

E84421B5-EBE9-42AC-894C-BEEF47649F38.jpeg

I fired up the remainder of the bowl the following day and the DGT experience was just as pleasant. All in all, this is yet another winner from Esoterica for me. While it likely will never replace the stronger, bolder, more in your face loving relationship I have with Esoterica Dunbar, it is surprisingly different for a blend in the same category, and makes a nice addition to the Esoterica lineup. I would give it four stars out of four and strongly recommend acquiring a tin should you ever find yourself presented with the chance. I could smoke it all day and be happy.

Cheers.

Frank

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great write up!

Very well written and just enough humor to keep me engaged!

Makes me want to pop open a tin of it, but I need to get through that open Dunbar first :)

puffy
Thanks, man!

Dunbar is tough to beat, a high bar for sure, but I was really surprised how different Dorchester is. Really demonstrates how wildly different tobaccos with essentially the same ingredients can actually be.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like that! You taught me that I prefer reviews, that have little to do with the tobacco, and more about the outdoors!

Beautiful!

No idea what tobacco you were talking about though. Hahaha
Haha, hey 5 of 8 paragraphs were pipe and tobacco related. I feel like that buys me a few paragraphs of ADD brain addled rambling. If not, put it on my tab :ROFLMAO: ?‍♂️

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Good review AK Man. I should probably try something by Esoterica one of these days.

I do like your reviews, but I really like that hat.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Were it not for being drowned with that horrid treacle cough syrup in the '70s by my grandmother, I may enjoy Stonehaven, but the smell conjures an uncontrollable gag reflex. I do really enjoy Dunbar though.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Good review AK Man. I should probably try something by Esoterica one of these days.

I do like your reviews, but I really like that hat.
Outback Trading Co. “Madison River” in black. They make a wide variety of waterproof oil skin hats that are great for rain and snow, and are fairly moderately priced at around $50 new. I bought this one new on ebay for $25. What I really like is that the brims are pliable and hold their shape, so you can shape it as needed for rain protection or sun protection. Also have airholes for breathability. Great hats.

Reactions: Bowie

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
I found Dorchester to be pretty strong on the spicy perique...goes straight to my nose. I'm hoping it will mellow in its jar.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I found Dorchester to be pretty strong on the spicy perique...goes straight to my nose. I'm hoping it will mellow in its jar.
Interesting. I thought the VAs did a pretty good job of mellowing out that spiciness. I got way more fruit character from the perique than spice, although it was there with a little tongue tingle and some of the fruitiness could be a topping. I did just read @jiminks review and he said the perique content in this blend can be a little inconsistent.

Or possibly, more likely, we just have different palates! Although I too am interested to see what age does to this blend. If there is a topping, which it seems there is although very light, I am curious to see how the blend changes as it fades away and the VAs get sweeter.

Reactions: elasmo and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Interesting. I thought the VAs did a pretty good job of mellowing out that spiciness. I got way more fruit character from the perique than spice, although it was there with a little tongue tingle and some of the fruitiness could be a topping. I did just read @jiminks review and he said the perique content in this blend can be a little inconsistent.

Or possibly, more likely, we just have different palates! Although I too am interested to see what age does to this blend. If there is a topping, which it seems there is although very light, I am curious to see how the blend changes as it fades away and the VAs get sweeter.

I have found a lot of inconsistencies in several Esoterica blends. I once had a bag of Dorchester and there was virtually no perique in it. I couldn't even see it. The last bag I smoked had a ton of it. It's varied at other times, too.

I also remember when Tilbury didn't have the apricot topping. And Stonehaven is always a crap shoot as to how it will taste.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have found a lot of inconsistencies in several Esoterica blends. I once had a bag of Dorchester and there was virtually no perique in it. I couldn't even see it. The last bag I smoked had a ton of it. It's varied at other times, too.

I also remember when Tilbury didn't have the apricot topping. And Stonehaven is always a crap shoot as to how it will taste.
Definitely agree re: stonehaven. Beyond thats its a fickle tobacco in and of itself. Moisture seems to have to be just right or it gets all wonkadelic.

I love Tilbury, possibly my favorite Eso.

Reactions: JimInks

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018

That is the extra special hand craftedness of it all!
:)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Nice one, AK! Gonna have to dig out my Dorchester this weekend. The last I smoked it, I did get the feeling that all it was missing was a nice waft of burning diapers, but I'll have to make do without a trash fire again.:(

• Wow

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice one, AK! Gonna have to dig out my Dorchester this weekend. The last I smoked it, I did get the feeling that all it was missing was a nice waft of burning diapers, but I'll have to make do without a trash fire again.:(
Hahaha, no diapers in there thank god. Those go out with the “non-burn trash.” Just a bunch of cardboard, paper, and paper towels.

Status
Not open for further replies.