PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Impressive both in size and quality of carving. I love the thick bowl walls.

I don't recall seeing such a large and elaborate offering by AKB...but I haven't been paying much attention to them for a while. I would think any carver creating something like that would sign it...I don't understand why they don't.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't recall seeing such a large and elaborate offering by AKB
Same. I know Kenan has done work for them before and the size and carving leads me to think it's one of his.

I would think any carver creating something like that would sign it...I don't understand why they don't.
That raised my eyebrow as well. The price seemed unusual too. Less than any of my IMPs.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Same. I know Kenan has done work for them before and the size and carving leads me to think it's one of his.

That raised my eyebrow as well. The price seemed unusual too. Less than any of my IMPs.
one possibility is that you got a pipe from a Carver that's just breaking out of the apprentice phase. They could be letting him get creative now. And soon we'll hear of a new name and you'll eventually be able to say you got one of his first non-standard piece. To me it doesn't look like to my eye quite like Kenan or anyone elses work I've seen before. Gives me more of a "I know who you're a fan of" vibe. Could totally one hundred percent be wrong, but it is a possibility. And it would cover some of the questions people have pretty well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
one possibility is that you got a pipe from a Carver that's just breaking out of the apprentice phase. They could be letting him get creative now. And soon we'll hear of a new name and you'll eventually be able to say you got one of his first non-standard piece. To me it doesn't look like to my eye quite like Kenan or anyone elses work I've seen before. Gives me more of a "I know who you're a fan of" vibe. Could totally one hundred percent be wrong, but it is a possibility. And it would cover some of the questions people have pretty well.
Could be, it just reminded me of Kenan's feline work. And AKB often sells his pipes. That would explain the price though.

20210831_131958.jpgs-l400-31.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Could be, it just reminded me of Kenan's feline work. And AKB often sells his pipes. That would explain the price though.

View attachment 95228View attachment 95229
it's a little more naturalistic then his feline work tends to be. Like his feline work tends to have a a touch more stylization with slightly more human features. For example the one you showed has a more primate expression then a feline expression. And sure that happens sometimes, but that's a big (or small sometimes, not sure which works better)sometimes and isn't a expression they make often.

Reactions: Chasing Embers