PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
I just smoked my Peterson 606 harp for the first time today and it was great! When cleaning out the bowl, I noticed that the airflow hole had been drilled across the bottom of the pipe, and into the far side of the bowl. There is only about a millimeter hole in the bottom wall of the bowl, but I worry this could lead to burnout. Should I use pipe mud to cover it, or will it just naturally carbonized with the rest of the bowl? Thanks in advance for the responses, and I can upload pictures later if it helps!

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I agree with the previous comments that the pipe will probably be fine but this seems like poor quality control—something Laudisi has pledged to improve. Unless you love the pipe so much that you can't part with it, why not email Peterson and see if they'd be willing to replace it. You'll also have the pleasure of smoking the pipe for the first time for a second time!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Picture will help to understand better. But like mentioned, there shouldn't be a functional issue. As long as you don't torch the bottom trying to smoke every last bit of dottle, it really should be fine.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
Here is a picture of what I was talking about. I will reach out to Peterson and see what they can do!

Attachments

• 20221023_222132.jpg
    20221023_222132.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 56

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Here is a picture of what I was talking about. I will reach out to Peterson and see what they can do!
Was that a brand new pipe or estate? I only have seen my pipes and photos on this forum. But haven't seen chamber bottom being drilled into before. It's like someone didn't like the fact draught hole was little high and took drill to the pipe. Or they were gonna finish drilling the chamber after the draught hole and forgot. Just curious since never seen that before.

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
Was that a brand new pipe or estate? I only have seen my pipes and photos on this forum. But haven't seen chamber bottom being drilled into before. It's like someone didn't like the fact draught hole was little high and took drill to the pipe. Or they were gonna finish drilling the chamber after the draught hole and forgot. Just curious since never seen that before.
This was a brand-new pipe. I couldn't find anyone online that had this problem before, so I'm glad there is a forum to post about these kinds of things.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A good percentage of old pipes DEVELOP that same little divot after a while from heavy-handed pipe cleaner use (the wire causes it).

They are none the worse, performance-wise. By definition they must be someone's good smokers to get chosen that often, in fact.

Except as a matter of principle there's nothing to worry about.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
For a new pipe this is definitely a fault. The drill just went to far. I would try to swap it. If it’s a Peterson you’ve paid a certain high amount of bucks for a flawless pipe. But now you have already smoked it, they maybe refuse a replacement therefore.

Then don’t mind, the pipe might function another 50 years or so, with or without a filler of pipe mud.

Reactions: Siefour

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
The website I purchased from said I could return the pipe for inspection, and if they deem it a manufacturer's defect, they would replace the pipe or refund my money. They presented this like it was a manager being courteous when in reality, it is their website's policy, so I'm not sure what my odds of getting a new pipe are. I will keep you all updated as this progresses.

Reactions: UB 40

Siefour

Lurker
Oct 21, 2022
My replacement Peterson got here today. This new 606 still has a slight indent from the hole being drilled to far, and it has a strange blue/grey substance that looks like filler on part of the pipe. That being said, I am just going to love this pipe as is! It is an improvement on the last one, and I am ready to have another pipe in the rotation!

Reactions: UB 40

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Their drilling has been all over the map over the last couple of years…

This has been an ongoing point of contention over the last few years. Arguments like “Well it’s a $100 dollar pipe, what did you expect” are rather specious as far as I’m concerned.

It’s been discussed ad Infinitum… I won’t, and haven’t bought another Peterson pipe.

Reactions: Siefour