PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
This is my first blend dubbed "Navy" flake.. and from the history of tobacco, I imagined something rough and strong like the winds and waves braved by the navies when this kind of tobacco was made for the sailors. And the conservative, white & red tin art confirmed my speculation, and as I started opening the golden wrapper of Mac Baren, my surprise started. It is nothing as I imagined. The first thing that hit me was the beautiful, fruity aroma that welcomed me. Tropical, warm and gay. I tried to detect what aroma is that, but failed. Then the flakes themselves are of a lovely light brown colour with strands of gold as if it's a lazy sunset on the beach. In typical Mac Baren fashion, the flakes are hot pressed, which marries the flavours and makes the flakes as fragile as a little baby. They are easy to break and rub out. easy to pack and a bit tricky to light. But once you do, you're off to the races. The first draw confirms the aroma with a taste, a lovely taste that hit me with a childhood memory. And right then I recalled what aroma is that. It is licorice. And despite everyone saying it's fruit and rum. But I could detect neither, It is licorice all along. Lovely, consistent and easy to smoke all day. It burns down cool and well. And leaves a bit of white ash and some moisture in the bowl. I suspect that some drying time will remedy this, but I had no issue with it. Definitely an excellent VaBur with some sweet Cavendish. Highly recommended
Pipe Used: Stanwell Deluxe Royal Danish Brandy billiard
Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Nice review, Ahmed. I have smoked this off and on for a number of years and thought it was good, but unremarkable. I recently acquired a Howell acorn and discovered the true potential of MacBarren Navy Flake-- in the Howell it became sublime! Funny, the vagaries of taste, tobacco and briar-- you taste licorice, I taste honey. :)

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I actually got a hint of honey out of this as well. Subtle, but it's there.
I have quite a bit of this cellared. It's a good tobacco and really comes into it's own with some age on it. Like many MacB blends, it can nip if you aren't careful, at least that was my experience. Not an everyday thing for me, but nice to switch things up.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@skrapsoftobacco Well, I never got any bite from it.. But I think I will try to age some Mac Baren

@fitzy Great.. Tell me how you find it when you get it

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Yeah.. It came as a surprise.. But I am nearly done with a whole tin, and still. It's the taste I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.