PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Simon, (Condorlover) kindly sent a green pouch of the Ready Rubbed version of Condor as a result of his last voyage abroad and as curious as I was to finally try it I've done so with a little apprehension. Reading what's been posted on these forums can easily leave you confused as to what the real deal is with this popular UK OTC pouch pipe tobacco and they also reveal a "love it or hate it" type of pattern as you read opinions on this.
Today I spent the early morning (in the rain) doing some conditioning work with my bird dogs and had a bowl of EMP after a huge country breakfast. The early afternoon found me smoking a Drew Estates Undercrown cigar and after that I was ready for something a bit more Nic heavy.

I loaded one of my least often smoked MM Legend cobs with this fiendishly dark looking pipe weed that so many fear and in the process I noted that the pouch note to be very unusual. A citrusy, liquor type aroma that is hard to pin down was very present but surprisingly it wasn't off putting to me. The tobacco is a thick ribbon with chunks of broken flake present and it loaded very easy into the bowl. A test on the pipes draw before lighting presented a sickly sweet flavor that was strange and unusual but again, for me, not yet a deal breaker. Charring light brought forth a crescendo of all the notes just previously described as well as a light, very light, soapiness that at first nearly stopped me in mid puff but as I progressed it became clear that what I was tasting was NOT Tonquin. The familiar ghosting agent that's so present in the Lakeland District blends by G&H and SG is not in play here even though many refer to Condor as a "Lakeland". As my smoking progressed the fruitiness came and went and the power of this mixture let itself be known, it's a rich, earthy smoke with a mouth feel that is "chewy". It's a term I often see in tobacco reviews but one that I very rarely, if ever, use myself to review a tobacco.
I had set the bowl down at just about the midway point, this has a nicotine kick to it and I was giving it the well deserved respect that it commands. Upon relighting the bowl I do believe it was right then and there that I experienced my first ever.....Condor Moment.....The various topping flavors were for the most part gone and I'm now getting what I can only describe as what Nightcap would be like on steroids! This stuff is awesome, rich, full bodied, smokey and just a slightest hint of sweetness. It's not kicking my butt with nicotine, no soapy Lakeland essence whatsoever as many describe but rather just a really bold, powerhouse pipe tobacco.
To anyone on the fence about giving Condor RR a try, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's crystal clear to me now why Simon is so adament in his choice to stick with this OTC exclusevly as I'm sure many others like him do. It's certainly not for the faint of heart or for the beginner but it's one that I plan to enjoy to the last crumb and hopefully, I will be able to procure some future pouches from our beloved, Condorlover.
My apologies for such a long report but in this particular instance, I feel that Condor was worthy of such prose.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Just recently moved to Switzerland and definitely want to try this--does anyone know if Condor is available in Europe (specifically Switzerland, France, or Germany)?

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
As a young guy newly enlisted I had a course instructor that was a pipe smoker. I was the only young pipe smoker in my platoon so it went without saying we would sit and share a bowl when the others were having a nail break. He was a hard core Condor man. I believe it was the brown pouch he smoked. I can't say in those days I appreciated it as my tastes leaned more back then to anything that tasted good IE desserty LOL. He shared the odd bowl with me but was never interested in sampling my Captain Black or Cinnamon role bulk burn your tongue flavour of the time go figure eh? Always wondered what happened to him but he did help my journey to better tobacco. Condor will never be my first love but I earned a respect for that black mysterious tobacco.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I've wanted to try Condor for quite some time. Since picking up pipe smoking 13 years ago I have tried on a few occasions to have some shipped to me here in the states but unfortunately the attempts have never been successful. This along with St. Bruno Flake are very high on my wish list.
Very informative review. What is the difference between the Green and the Brown?
James

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'll also add that in this case as well as with most new to me blends, I smoked some first and then looked on Tobaccoreviews.com. It was kind of surprising how almost half complained that Condor smoked hot and bit the tongue and about half said it was cool smoking with no bite. I'm in the latter group.
A warning:
The last part of the bowl gets very nic heavy and in fact I had to lay down awhile after finishing the pipe. That last little bit was delicious and I know I was working the pipe a bit more than I should. I've never, ever gotten to feel a nic buzz like the one I had with that first bowl and I have smoked some of the more notorious brands over the years. Just watch your cadence and enjoy!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I'm beginning to like this tobacco more. I am in the states so don't get to smoke it often. I had a bowl today.
When I first tried this I thought it was very Lakeland but now I think I taste less soap but a bit of anise and a nice strength. I get the taste for this from time to time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I would also like to try some, I may have to twist an England based member to send some my way.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I might have to join cmdrmcbragg. After reading condorlover1 say "it isn't condor" every time when asked about other blends, I decided to search and read some reviews earlier today. I was gonna order some then I found out it's not available here. But glad to hear your review and that you enjoyed it. I also read that some say the brown pouch is better than the green. I thought the only difference is rubbed vs flake, is it also something else?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
To the best of my knowledge it is the same. I have an aquaintence who has an older brown pouch and the pouch notes are identical. I'm sure Simon or another Brit would be more helpful in answering the question though. I also believe there's a plug version?

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Yes, there is a plug also. I've read that it's only available in Ireland, not sure if that's true.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'd really like to buy some Condor, the first tobacco in quite some time that I would be willing to pay VAT prices.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I woke up today contemplating when I was going to have another bowl, lol. Perhaps this evening after a good dinner. My daily bowl of EMP seems pale and shallow now that I've shook hands with the Green Godess.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I spoke too soon. Went shopping and found 250 g for $97.XX. That's without shipping. That's twice what I pay for the most expensive tobacco I own. I've got plenty of dark English flake on hand and won't be buying any Condor until I get my inheritance!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just hang in there Mr. English as I am trying to get the Belomor-Canal cigarettes out the door and this week had been slowed down with what will now be the second day of hanging out at the damned doctors office catching up on my Readers Digest study quota. Nothing serious just that I am probably the worst patient they could ever imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.