PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
I have been reading through a lot of the cellaring and aging of tobacco but have a question related to a post regarding mason jars and vacuum sealing vs sealed tins. If oxygen is initially needed to start the aging process with the aerobic aspect as would occur in placing in mason jars without vacuum sealing, does the tobacco I am cellaring in unopened sealed tins still age or should I open the tins and place the tobacco in jars?

Reactions: Samuel Perez

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Tinned tobaccos are still aging.

My personal approach is to leave everything in tins until I‘m actually ready to smoke it, then the contents just go into small, latchable jars with rubber gaskets in the lids. I’ve had blends remain perfectly smokable in those jars for more than four years (not intentionally; just forgotten).

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One more thing: You might want to consider jarring up or putting in plastic storage bins any blends you might have that come in bags. It has nothing to do with aging, though.

I learned this lesson the hard way. We live semi-rurally, and it’s not at all uncommon for our cat to catch a mouse in the house. Unfortunately, she wasn’t able to get one before he and his friends ate holes in four bags of Penzance and one of Margate that had been stored with tins in boxes in our basement. (Apparently, Esoterica‘s reputation has spread even more than I realized!)

I love these blends, and I seriously thought about trying to salvage the tobacco that was farthest from the holes, but I knew I’d be thinking about mouse saliva with every puff.

So: Tossed. Damn mice.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have been reading through a lot of the cellaring and aging of tobacco but have a question related to a post regarding mason jars and vacuum sealing vs sealed tins. If oxygen is initially needed to start the aging process with the aerobic aspect as would occur in placing in mason jars without vacuum sealing, does the tobacco I am cellaring in unopened sealed tins still age or should I open the tins and place the tobacco in jars?
Cellaring and aging are not exactly the same thing. I'll cellar to have blends on hand when I want to smoke them. If I buy faster than I smoke, then what I'm cellaring ages.

There's been a lot of discussion about anerobic aging, etc, mostly by duffers like me who repeat what they've been told without actually knowing the science behind it, so maybe it's true and maybe it isn't. Blends left to set for years in vacuum packed tins do "change" over time, which is all that aging is.

Also, there are different types of tinning, compressed vacuum packed and loose with air space, and the contents of both types of tinning do change over time. Which works better? I have no idea, and I suspect they work equally well since they are the choices of professionals for presenting their work.

There have been experiments with vacuum jarring to see if a lack of oxygen stops the aging process G. L. Pease - Articles & Essays - http://www.glpease.com/Articles/vacuum.html but no one has presented a methodology, at least here, that guarantees to stop all aging, if that's a goal. Probably flushing with an inert gas, like argon, would do the trick.

But short of that, tobaccos change as the years of by, sometimes markedly, sometimes little. Whether that change is an "improvement" is up to the individual smoker to decide.

If your intent is to cellar tins for longer than a decade, there's an element of chance that enters into the results. Square and rectangular vacuum sealed tins are never 100% sealed and over time the pressure between outside the tin and inside the tin equalizes, and the seal goes kaput. Once the seal goes kaput, the contents dry out. Round tins are much more successful for retaining their seal over a longer period of time, as are canisters.

Jarring is a time honored method of allowing tobaccos to change over long periods without worrying about failures, and Mylar bags, .7mil food grade, have become popular over the past 6-7 years among end users, while having been in use by professionals for over 20 years.

If I plan to keep tobaccos for over 10 years that are tinned in rectangular or square tins, I either jar them or heat seal them in Mylar.

Greg Pease has changed his position on long term storage and no longer advocates keeping everything in its original tin, but rather recommends transferring to jars soon after purchase. He found too many "disappointments" in his cellar, and he's been at this longer than most of us.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I inadvertently age my tobacco, because I bought so gosh damned much. :ROFLMAO:

The only tin I would jar right away if I wasn't smoking it soon would be the new Samuel Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth tins. I've had some that were not sealed, so I don't trust their new tins.

When they vacuum seal tins, they cannot possibly remove all of the oxygen, or else the tin would crush down to zero, and it would be obvious. So, there is air in sealed tins. I have experimented with this using my vacuum casting equipment, and I have seen tins definitely squish down to a pancake. They actually don't seal at that point. If someone wants to open tins and put them in jars, so be it. Do whatever you want. I just don't, nor am I here to convince others to do like me.

FWIW, cellaring and aging are the same. Wine is cellared to age, so tobacco is as well. ...In my mind. But, others can categorize the word usage however they want. To me, if the tobaccos is in que to be used, then it is just being "stored." But, I don't really do this, nor do I keep a large number of tobaccos in my rotation.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
That is very true but if the tin is vacuumed sealed then wouldn’t the aging of the tobacco be slowed/stopped due to the lack of oxygen?
We use the term "vacuum" colloquially, but it's more accurate to say the tins are sealed under low pressure. I've read somewhere that a "vacuum-sealed" tin is at about 40% of atmospheric pressure. [citation needed]

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't age or cellar. I just keep them till I have time to smoke them. If they just happened to age, who am I to argue? But if you feel the oxygen in the tin isn't adequate to properly age the tobacco, may I suggest decanting the content to Dunhill crystal mason jar with 24K gold lid with organic seal for the future generations :)

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I cellar mine in the tins. Why? If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, next week or next year my wife knows to send my spread sheet to @pipestud or someone like him and let them choose when they want her to send for sale. Also the rate at which they would want it to avoid the onerous taxes of them storing it would cost. They can't resell in jars. Anything left? Goes to my friends to remember me by. My tins are boxed up in plastic storage bins (the good black and yellow ones (IFYKYK). with lots of desiccant packs to keep moisture at bay.