PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't like tobacco to age too much, I don't know why, I like that relative freshness. Although I have a modest cellar, I have stopped storing any more tobacco.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't buy tobacco to age and at the moment I have less than 13 lbs. of tobacco in the house.
I am guilty of finding a blend I want to try and I will often buy two tins - one to smoke now and one to have for future smoking. Alas, the older blends that I have, some dating back to 2014, are because I've lost interest in them.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I cellar because running out of a favored blend seems silly if it's within my power to prevent. Sometimes after a few months or years the blend is better (C&D seems to really benefit from a few months encased in glass). Sometimes there's no change at all (like that unopened pouch of Carter Hall I found hiding earlier last month). Sometimes that time might or might not help, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it tasted like fresh (like PS English Luxury). I can't think of anything that tasted worse after spending time in my cellar.

But at the end of the day, I cellar because I buy more than I can smoke at a time.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy gang and I sure have enjoyed reading through this thread. I ran a survey on my website about a year ago asking my customers to tell me what the main reason was for making purchases on my website. I was actually a little surprised (make that a lot surprised), to find that the vast majority of responses was NOT due to their belief that pipe tobacco tasted X times better with age. The main reason they made purchases was to be able to get either no longer produced great old blends to try out, or stock up on out of production blends that they liked, or try to grab some hard to get still in production blends that they either liked or wanted to try.

Number two on the list of responses was that they could taste the enhanced flavor of well aged tobacco, and number three on the list was that they enjoyed collecting pipe tobacco like some people enjoy collecting, coins, stamps, guns, knives, etc.

It was a fun survey, but I admit that I was surprised at the outcome.

Steve

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Interesting point about sometimes blends are better fresh- not aged.

Is there then any way to "prevent" aging while cellaring, so that nothing really changes? Packing jars really full and tight, vacuum sealing?

Or at least minimize it? As I start to buy more tobacco for later of my favorite blends and increasing rules/taxes, maybe I just want a predictable enjoyment without changes

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Howdy gang and I sure have enjoyed reading through this thread. I ran a survey on my website about a year ago asking my customers to tell me what the main reason was for making purchases on my website. I was actually a little surprised (make that a lot surprised), to find that the vast majority of responses was NOT due to their belief that pipe tobacco tasted X times better with age. The main reason they made purchases was to be able to get either no longer produced great old blends to try out, or stock up on out of production blends that they liked, or try to grab some hard to get still in production blends that they either liked or wanted to try.

Number two on the list of responses was that they could taste the enhanced flavor of well aged tobacco, and number three on the list was that they enjoyed collecting pipe tobacco like some people enjoy collecting, coins, stamps, guns, knives, etc.

Steve
I never would have expected those results. Very interesting.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States

Steve
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but that lines up pretty well with my thinking. I haven't been around to get the satisfaction of cracking open a 5 year old va/per that's been waiting patiently for its time.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
My aged tobacco in my cellar is more of an afterthought than by design.

I buy blends that I either know I like, or ones that I "think" I'll like based on their composition or if they are comparable to known blends I've smoked and I usually do so in quantity. Especially if there is a sale.

Having said that, I know that there are some blends in my cellar that I prefer with some age.

PS Luxury Navy Flake is one. It's a decent blend when it's fresh, but it just seems to be better and more "rich" with even just a few months of age after purchasing.

I also really like GLP Quiet Nights with a couple of years' age on it. I love it fresh, but seems that it has a more cohesive flavor and it moves from smoky "campfire" to more leather and "fireplace" after a couple of trips around the Sun.

Orlik Golden Sliced is one that I really love with some age, but that has less to do with the flavor and more to do with the texture. It just gets this creamy/buttery texture to it that I love.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Some of my fellow pipe smokers tell me they have tobacco which was bought in 1990 and carefully stored and aging still. At my age of 52 I may not last 35 years from now if I started aging tobacco that long today. I don't see the point of buying tobacco and letting it age for me in my case because I want to enjoy it today not when I'm close to 90 years old. If I make it that long I probably won't buy green bananas as the saying goes. Even 10 years is too long for me.

Perhap one to five years would be sufficient but I'd like not to waste that time were it not.

I suppose perhaps aging is meant for the next generation if the aging process all goes well.

I find the process of aging runs antithetical to the process of smoking. Maybe for some folks it's for different reasons. I just don't see them.

Aa for me, in the tone of Dr. McCoy, "Dammit Jim I'm a pipe smoker not a tobacco museum curator!"

Thoughts?
My thought is don’t buy any tobacco to age. That was easy, why the thread?