PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I love my Virginia blends, but also love my Balkans and have begun cellaring both as much as po$$ible. Since they've been around for a few years, can anyone comment on how well Sutliff Match BS 759 & Match BSOSM stand up to several years in the jar?

I feel like I read in passing that they do not age very well and are more of a "smoke-now" blend, but for the life of me, I can't find that opinion again. I've got a couple pounds kept back, but am trying to decide whether packing the cellar with these 2 is folly, which it would be, IMO, if they fall off after a couple years.

I'm aware of how well Balkan Supreme ages as someone sent a sample that was several years old and it is much more enjoyable than the fresh batches I have received. I've been cellaring that one to a greater degree (I think 4 pounds in).

Thanks for any and all help, opinions.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It has been said that Latakia doesn't agree as well as other leaf types. The older English blends I've smoked seem to be smooth and the Latakia more sublimated. So it depends on what you like. If you want in your face Latakia, aging probably isn't a benefit for you.

Reactions: Jwebb90

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It has been said that Latakia doesn't agree as well as other leaf types. The older English blends I've smoked seem to be smooth and the Latakia more sublimated. So it depends on what you like. If you want in your face Latakia, aging probably isn't a benefit for you.
I like Latakia as a condiment, typically. I like the way it works with the other Orientals as a supporting player.

Just thinking to my experience with cigars - there's definitely cigars that taste great within a year of purchase, but fall flat after a couple years in the humidor (many non-Padron Nicaraguans come to mind). Conversely, there are cigars that need age to shine (some Cubans). And of course there are those that are good fresh, aged or whatever, with seemingly no practical limit (many Fuente).

Anyway, appreciate the input and hope you're continuing to feel better.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.