Aging OTC or Codger Blends. Could You? Should You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Awhile back I was gifted some Captain Black Gold with 7 years on it and it was a terrific smoke. Based on that, I later picked up a new pouch of the stuff - I didn’t care for it. Too much of a chemical taste. This is my only experience with aged OTCs.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well then, sounds to me like I will just buy the stuff and keep it around for when I want to smoke it and won't have to worry too much about it.
The only thing I wonder about is when some of you have opened these older, vintage tins/tubs, is it a different blend from what is being sold today? I only ask, because if it's now, then there could be some differences in how the blend ages over time with one purchased today and set aside, versus buying on that already has 10 years of age on it. I wonder how much of a difference there could be? Maybe none? Maybe a little? Maybe not enough to notice? Maybe a lot? Hard to speculate. Might just have to do it and let y'all know in 10 years. :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The burley in many OTC blends keeps well, and some feel it improves with age. But it's won't deteriorate if sealed, usually.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect most of us (Forums members) buy a tub of OTC now and then to store/age, especially when good deals are available, so most of us end up aging these without that specific intent. I did that with a pouch of Three Star Blue that I didn't like much at first, then put aside. When I came back to it, it was a whole new day, whether it improved or I did.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only thing I wonder about is when some of you have opened these older, vintage tins/tubs, is it a different blend from what is being sold today?
Sometimes. Blenders change the balances between ingredients. If a blend has been around long enough, the manufacturer changes and they put their spin on the product. But as most of these are burley based, the underlying flavor of the leaf isn't going to change very much. Topping ingredients may change, and some of those ingredients eventually fade a bit.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
all tobacco improves with age IMO. Even Lat blends, while they lose strength of flavor, gain in the way of smoothness and complexity. I've smoked 70s era Sobranie, and it was divine.

I have personal experience with old OTC. I have a 1983 tub of Kentucky Club Mild, and another from some time in the 90s. Both had good seals with loud whooshes when I pulled the ring. The 90s version, very fruity and excellent. The 1983 version? OMG, it is like smoking devil's food cake. No exaggeration.

So while aging Burley shouldn't do much except maybe mellow it and lose some flavor, my experience is that they were just as good as old Virginias after a decade or three in the tub. YMMV.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Necrobump!

I have personal experience with old OTC. I have a 1983 tub of Kentucky Club Mild, and another from some time in the 90s. Both had good seals with loud whooshes when I pulled the ring. The 90s version, very fruity and excellent. The 1983 version? OMG, it is like smoking devil's food cake. No exaggeration.

That's good to hear. It's hard to get much info on long-term cellaring. I've been jarring up some of my favorite burley blends that I'm concerned might go off the market after the FDA deeming regulations take full effect. I'm not really counting on them to improve, I'd just like to know they'll store well and will smoke well in 20 or 30 years or more. Sounds promising.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a couple of pouches of Condor Long Cut, Original/Walnut Flake and St Bruno Flake ageing in the cellar but how much it'll improve them I've no idea.
My guess is the burley will mellow out a bit and the topping might not be so strong?
They've been cellaring for a couple of years and I'll try them at 5 years plus and find out.

Chris.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Those blends are reasonably mild to begin with. Not sure how much aging will improve them but if the seal remains intact, I don't imagine they would be harmed by aging either. Virginias are said to benefit or change with aging. I've smoked quite a bit of Virginia tobacco that was 2, 5, 10 years and older. For the most part, I thought the aging was quite beneficial. Can't say I've had experience with aged Codger or OTC blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.