Aging MacBaren Virginia No. 1: Tongue Bite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Virginias in general, having higher sugar content, and being more acidic, will tend to bite more so than other tobaccos.

Aging does seem to temper them somewhat. However my experience is that will take several years.

Technique does play into it. And smoking it in a smaller bowl with a thinner draft does seem to help.

Each manufacturer cases or tops their Virginia differently, which can help to reduce any tendency to bite in varying degrees.

Try sampling different blends until you find something that agrees with you, rather than buying huge quantities of whatever everybody is raving about as the "blend of the week".

I find that, even with 7 years of age on it, that if I smoke VA #1 in my other Virginia pipes, that no matter how dry or slow, that it still is not a pleasant smooth smoke like the Virginias I prefer. It is because of the acidity and maybe the extra honey added increasing the burning sugar ratio. Other Virginias don’t do this, and become much smoother with age.
However, if I smoke VA #1 in one of my wider burley pipes, it does smoke smoother.

Whatever that means, more volume of smoke, more air mixing in the chamber, whatever…. it’s the only way I can make it palatable. (I’ll let the rocket surgeons on here break that idea down).

I picked up about 5 lbs early on, and I’ve given most of that away, because it’s just not a favorite. @BROBS, is that 2014 from me?

Anyways, I still have some to try in 10-20 years, but I have no intentions pf ever buying it again. Their Pure Virginia better suits my tastes. YMMV
But, of you don’t like it, there’s probably hundreds of other blends to try. Maybe just strike it off your list. I have.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I find that, even with 7 years of age on it, that if I smoke VA #1 in my other Virginia pipes, that no matter how dry or slow, that it still os not a pleasant smooth smoke like the Virginias I prefer. It is because of the acidity and maybe the extra honey added increasing the burning sugar ratio. Other Virginias don’t do this, and become much smoother with age.
However, of I smoke VA #1 in one of my wider burley pipes, it does smoke smoother.

Whatever that means, more volume of smoke, more air mixing in the chamber, whatever…. it’s the only way I can make it palatable.

I picked up about 5 lbs early on, and I’ve given most of that away, because it’s just not a favorite. @BROBS, is that 2014 from me?

Anyways, I still have some to try in 10-20 years, but I have no intentions pf ever buying it again. Their Pure Virginia better suits my tastes. YMMV
But, of you don’t like it, there’s probably hundreds of other blends to try. Maybe just strike it off your list. I have.
Yes it is!!!
I’d bet it’s probably too light for you.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'm smoking some from 2016 as I type. Age mellows it out quite a bit. I really don't like it fresh, but enjoy it quite a bit after 3+ years, and if it's 10+ years old it really sings. All that being said, it's a high sugar content VA, so it'll always bite if pushed and smoked fast. But when well aged and smoked slowly, it's among my favorite blends, with a flavor reminiscent of buttered raisin toast.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I was looking at this blend for a while because it's available here and pretty cheap for a MacBaren, but after reading it called "very light" by people who know Virginias a lot better than me I'll give it a pass.
This. I fall into this trap occasionally when the flavor is good but the blend is really mild.
I know what you mean, exactly, so I'll avoid #1 and pick up for HH Pure Virginia instead :)

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Keep in mind that WLT is temporarily shutting down because the owner has the vid. I don't recommend their competitors because rumour had e it the quality isn't as good; however, I haven't tried it.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I see all the comments about technique and cadence but I can feel my mouth going numb after about three puffs when I smoke any of the Macbaren blends that I have tried.
I've tried all the way from tin fresh to bone dry and even with a filter.

Something in their blends just doesn't agree with my body chemistry, nothing to do with technique for me. Will aging get rid of this for me, I'm doubtful.

M

Magnum207

“Each manufacturer cases or tops their Virginia differently, which can help to reduce any tendency to bite in varying degrees.”
Please explain if possible. I understand each manufacturer has their own proprietary processes, etc…, but Mac Baren apparently continues to “case or top” theirs “differently” than others, knowing it still causes “bite?” Wouldn’t they change or modify their process to reduce this, knowing it’s a common complaint?

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I see all the comments about technique and cadence but I can feel my mouth going numb after about three puffs when I smoke any of the Macbaren blends that I have tried.
I've tried all the way from tin fresh to bone dry and even with a filter.

Something in their blends just doesn't agree with my body chemistry, nothing to do with technique for me. Will aging get rid of this for me, I'm doubtful.
I am the same way. Although I smoke regular pipes all the time, I've been getting into Peterson System pipes with the L-lip using very dry tobacco, like from Daughters & Ryan.

And I don't know why MacBaren doesn't try and change their recipe to appeal to more palates. I guess they have smokers who enjoy it the way it is.