PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I have a tin in the cellar and wondering if anyone has experience/opinion on what kind of time I should give it? Best fresh? 1 year, 3 years? more?
Separately, going to order some bulk for ready use, and probably some jarring. I love it mixed with hamborger veermaster and am going to dabble with some ratios for a morning blend to suit me. tnx

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have some that's been aging for 5 years now. I've tried it along the way and it keeps getting better in my opinion. The perique takes on a deep prune like flavor. It is very rich. The Virginia's smooth out and just sing so well with the perique. I could gush over this one all day. I started to notice the difference around the 3 year mark.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I have some that's been aging for 5 years now. I've tried it along the way and it keeps getting better in my opinion. The perique takes on a deep prune like flavor. It is very rich. The Virginia's smooth out and just sing so well with the perique. I could gush over this one all day. I started to notice the difference around the 3 year mark.
Excellent! I enjoy it as it is on it's own, relatively fresh, but have found a touch more sweetness from the hamborger, as well as reducing the nic a touch makes it 'just right' for me. Your desc of the time effect sounds wonderful!

Reactions: kcghost and seanv
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Buy some to smoke now, let that tin sit. Stuff definitely gets better as it sits. One of my favorite VaPers but I let a new tin sit for a while after opening. C&D Virginias are just like that for me - I don't like em fresh.
I'm working through a jar of 4 year now and it's just fantastic.

Reactions: seanv and Scottmi

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
On the basis of a superlative tin of Bayou Morning Flake with several years of age on it (can't remember the exact age because I discarded the tin), I ordered 8 oz. of ribbon-cut bulk. I realize it's hard to compare aged flake with ribbon that's probably of recent vintage, but the bulk doesn't come at all close to the tinned. The tinned Bayou Morning had a strong tin note that someone described as smelling like vomit. But the taste was rich, rounded and flavorful and the smoke was soft. The bulk, which was a little on the dry side, had almost no odor, was rather bland and a bit harsh. Granted the tinned was flake, but I rubbed it out and dried it before smoking. Is this a common finding when comparing tinned to bulk generally? Have others found this with Bayou Morning or other C&D blends?

Reactions: Scottmi and seanv