PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Yesterday I took a box full of cellared tobacco tins to select a few for selling and another few for selling. Most dated from my begginer days and two of those were open, most likely from the gasses generated by the aging process. Both were square ones, one small (Peterson University Flake) and a big one (Dunhill Mild Blend), both from 2004. I have many other tins (mostly round ones but also a few of the square ones) from those days, but they seem to be fine.

My question is: how often does this happen? Does it happen more often with square tins? None of the round ones seem to be affected. Are they less prone to this kind of accident? And now that we're talking about it: how do those paint-like tins that HU uses for their 100 grams presentation hold the test of time?

I know some people vacuum-seal their tins, but I thought that the possibility of this happening was very remote.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Never had an issue with any of my square tins. I have a couple round tins that have bloated as you can clearly see the tin is not in its original shape and don't sit flat anymore. Nothing has popped yet. A few years back I had a round tin that was bloated, and when I opened it, it basically exploded on me making a loud popping sound and the tin about jumped out of my hand. Definitely wasn't expecting that, but I know now for the future when I get around to opening those other tins.

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
Never had an issue with any of my square tins. I have a couple round tins that have bloated as you can clearly see the tin is not in its original shape and don't sit flat anymore. Nothing has popped yet. A few years back I had a round tin that was bloated, and when I opened it, it basically exploded on me making a loud popping sound and the tin about jumped out of my hand. Definitely wasn't expecting that, but I know now for the future when I get around to opening those other tins.
Are you talking about Cornell & Diehl style tins? I have two bloated ones of those: one GLP Charing Cross from 2005 and one C&D Red Carpet from 2017. I'm not worried about those because that kind of tin seems able to hold well. The ones I'm worried about are the Dunhill-Peterson kind.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Round tins disperse the pressure equally, while square do not. This is general simple physics, how it is applied to tinned tobacco specifically I do not know.

Aging or anaerobic fermentation of tobacco results in gas release, increasing the pressure within a tin. The more sugar in the tobacco or casing, the more gas release. Again, this is a generalization.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Yambo
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Are you talking about Cornell & Diehl style tins? I have two bloated ones of those: one GLP Charing Cross from 2005 and one C&D Red Carpet from 2017. I'm not worried about those because that kind of tin seems able to hold well. The ones I'm worried about are the Dunhill-Peterson kind.
Yes, it was a C&D tin. I've never had an issue with the Dunhill or Peterson style tins.

Reactions: Chasing Embers